RC Memories

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarcaines

Supporting Member
Hey all,

I am more of a lurker then a poster, and I have been out of RC boat racing for about 20 years so maybe I am overstepping my bounds on this post, but I thought it'd be cool to read some stories and see some picture from the history of the sport.

I grew up racing with my dad (Dennis Caines) in the 80's and 90's in NAMBA 8/ABPA 10 (and some National Events). I have many fond memories of watching and learning life lessons from guys like Jerry and Paul Dunlap, Rod Geraghty, Ed Fisher, Mark Anderson, Eric Broulet, Tom Dudley, Jim Auguston, Mark Knox ... man I am forgetting so many great people...

To start things off here is a picture of my dad's first A-tunnel, and the first NAMBA A-tunnel record holder. (I think it stood until the second race ;-) )

11807803_10155905281230113_5917177763175735146_o.jpg

11807424_10155905281235113_3061688720996233846_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like the K&B with the exhaust slider for throttle control. Lots of great memories racing with your dad.

JD
Dunny,

That is exactly what it is....That is Caines starting an original 3.5 K&B OB with slide exhaust and Venturi...

I will bet the prop was a JG E20 or JG F22..

The radio was a Cirrus from Tower Hobbies...

The boat in the photo is a Nolan designed "Excaliber" built from RC Model Builder plans....

This was the Golden Age of 3.5 OPC in NAMBA District 8.....**** we had fun....
default_biggrin.png
:D
default_biggrin.png

Rod Geraghty

Rod here is a shot of that boat NOW. Looks like it had a few hull modifications...

Jerry and Rod, do you guys remember this yellow one?

I wish I had access to more of the picture from back then.

11856491_10155905281535113_970148550627560267_o.jpg

11782370_10155905281225113_7477997576673901947_o.jpg

Rod here is a shot of that boat NOW. Looks like it had a few hull modifications...

Sorry....I don't remember the yellow boat....

I don't remember the yellow boat. But, it's a challenge to remember to zip up my trousers these days.

JD

Hi Jerry,

do you remember a modelboater Jay Selby (i think this was his name ) . He wrote a very competiv artikel about tunnehull design . This was print in "RCM" or in "Model airplane news" or in a other modelboat related magazine . I anyone remember this artikels ,was print in 3 or 4 isues . I sampelt this artikel but i lend it someone and get it not back . So i am looking for it . This was very good . A very good friend and i ,we build some nice tunnelboat scratch with Selbys know how in mind and this boats perform realy good . Did all the effects decribed by him .

Happy Amps Christian

Hi Jerry,

do you remember a modelboater Jay Selby (i think this was his name ) . He wrote a very competiv artikel about tunnehull design . This was print in "RCM" or in "Model airplane news" or in a other modelboat related magazine . I anyone remember this artikels ,was print in 3 or 4 isues . I sampelt this artikel but i lend it someone and get it not back . So i am looking for it . This was very good . A very good friend and i ,we build some nice tunnelboat scratch with Selbys know how in mind and this boats perform realy good . Did all the effects decribed by him .

Happy Amps Christian
Hi Christian,

I talked with Jay Selby at the memorial service for Jim Wilson back in May. I do remember the articles Jay wrote, but do not have a copy of them. I'll e-mail Jay and see if he kept a copy.

JD

Hi Jerry ,

wow ,that's wonderfull . If he has the artikel it would be nice if some can doma pdf with it and share it here at intelwaters .

That's great that two memory writting man ,you and Jay meet this days . Thanks for all your input and know how you share ,read all of your colum your wrote .

Happ Amps Christian

I don't remember the yellow boat. But, it's a challenge to remember to zip up my trousers these days.

JD

Haha, yeah. I think my dad and uncle made that one. I thought it'd be ugly enough to stand out. ;-)

My memories dont date back quite that far
default_wink.png
- but to address your threads title-

My fondest memory was the first " event " I ever attended , a SAWS at Blue Lake Ga. Spent a great deal of time after the events end each night story telling " listening on my part " to

Ray Fuller and Herb Stewart at Capt Ron's cabin - ingrained in my mind forever , might have been a couple other fast younger SAWS guys there at the time as well-

Brian Buass - Chris Harris -Ray Rankle - Jerry Crowther, Doug Smock ect Good Times and a memory as a newbie I will never forget .
default_cool.png

The late Jim Wilson mite have a copy.I ask Jim if he had a copy of the David Frank sport 40 that Jerry did and Jim had the magazine.Check with Miss Wilson.

Dave Roach

The late Jim Wilson mite have a copy.I ask Jim if he had a copy of the David Frank sport 40 that Jerry did and Jim had the magazine.Check with Miss Wilson.

Dave Roach
Thanks Dave. I am actually not looking for the boat, just reminiscing.

Do you have any nostalgic RC boating stories or pictures to share?

That's great Andy! The willingness to pass along knowledge is one of the best things about the RC boating community.
You couldnt be more right. That experience alone has left me with a 13 + Year addiction
default_cool.png

Most of the the guys I raced against when I started , would have given me the shirt off their backs to make sure I got it.

It wasnt until I beat Gene Mongar for my first overall Championship - during the STRA One Day events for the title at seasons end - did he tell me -

Your own your own now
default_ohmy.png
default_wink.png

I'm lucky enough - when I run - to run in a Dist with some of the fastest guys on the planet in any given class - that sure helps bunches IMHO .

Andy

I have lots of stuff..

I like this one... right Ron jr.. lol

How about that.. Tom Grannis too.. super tough racer.

Ron Jr getting his 3rd US I with a 40 boat.

Grim

99nats (15).jpg

Back