New O'Donnell V2 plugs?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Anybody else runing these?

Been running K&B HP's forever but having trouble keeping seals in them. When they start going brown around the stem I know I better change them or else.

The O'donnell's with the "patented no leak internal sealing system" doesn't have a resin seal to burn so I'm trying to go to them but tried the 289's & found them a bit too cold for my setup. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the other non-turbo types, ie: 277, 287, 288?

Steve did mention the 277 is like a 1L and recommended the 287 for an HP replacement, just wondering if anyone else has tried them.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry:

Why not make yourself some Cone Type Heads and use the 97T's. I am using them and think they are the best I have ever seen. Talked to Steve at length and he sold me on the concept.

Terry:

Why not make yourself some Cone Type Heads and use the 97T's. I am using them and think they are the best I have ever seen. Talked to Steve at length and he sold me on the concept.
I'm sure there's gains to be had for the turbo style plugs, might try that next year.

I see the 97 is similar to the new 288:

https://odonnellglowplugs.com/home/comparison-chart/

Any idea how they compare to K&B or McCoy?

Hey Terry,

We have been running the V2's in big motors with no problems. I had the same problem with HP's in the 80's, 91's and 101's, but no more. The older OD9's and blues also seal up without issue.

TG

Using the RCAT systems glow plug driver and love it.

TG
Says they come with the Sonic Tronics/McDaniel clip, it won't stay connected to the plug on it's own, will it?
TK,try a "hot shot" from Hobbico,mine stays on 289 plugs.
Wonder what makes them different than the Sullivan "Head Lock" I like to use with a power panel?

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/ModelProductsMainFrame.htm

If they were under cut like their ODO9's anything would work:

odo-9-Ps-320x320.jpg

As it is there's only a groove to hang on to:

289-Ps-320x320.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had to change to the Durbo clip instead of the twist lock clips which would not stay on it. They seem to have more depth than the twist lock units.

Terry,

I put a Deans plug between the RCAT box and the glow plug clip. I soldered an additional clip end with the Dubro kwik klip: http://shop.dubro.com/p/kwik-klip-ii-glo-plug-connector-qty-pkg-1/aircraft_glo-plug-ignitors?pp=12So I can use the stock plug clip or the Dubro.

The Dubro stays on even the V2 plugs.

TG
Good idea.

I also had to change to the Durbo clip instead of the twist lock clips which would not stay on it. They seem to have more depth than the twist lock units.
So I'm not alone...

Get yourself one of these Terry. I run #99's that look just like the 289 you have in the pic and mine clips perfectly to the groove. Real nice molded plugs too.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/ofna-cable-glow-plug-cable-power-panel-ofn92572/p7876
Sweet! That's what I need, thanks Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnior!
default_smile.png

Just an update and another Q?

Did some back to back testing with my 40 hydro yesterday. Ran the boat with a new K&B HP, got a good needle, came in and the seal was brown (starting to go).

Put in a 289 and had trouble getting on pipe without having to lean the motor down, even then was "doggy" off the corners etc. Put the needle back to where it was (confirmed with flowmeter) and ran a 288, didn't find any difference to the 289.

Tried the 287 next and wala, everything came back to where it was with the K&B HP - except I didn't blow the seal and the element stayed mostly in place whereas the K&B was pulled almost completely out of the hole. Not sure if I ran a few more hard laps with the K&B or not but the OD 287 worked very well.

Interested in trying some hotter 277's, any "real world" experience?

BTW, I got one of those Ofna glow plug clips RJ suggested, works great!
default_smile.png

terry 277 are REALLY REALLY light.. i tried some in my 20 boat, but couldn't keep them together. PLUS you get less per PACKAGE as they are a car plug and car plugs come 6 per pack for the same money as the 289 287

i can't get a 287 to work well in a 21 for some reason.. i tried and tried but i found similar things like you did.. had to go back to k&b 1L in a 20.. i do like the 289 for big motors. 45 and up.. works great.

but that is just me and i am different than most lol!

keep that in mind.

terry 277 are REALLY REALLY light.. i tried some in my 20 boat, but couldn't keep them together. PLUS you get less per PACKAGE as they are a car plug and car plugs come 6 per pack for the same money as the 289 287

i can't get a 287 to work well in a 21 for some reason.. i tried and tried but i found similar things like you did.. had to go back to k&b 1L in a 20.. i do like the 289 for big motors. 45 and up.. works great.

but that is just me and i am different than most lol!

keep that in mind.
Thanks for the info, "real world" experience can't be beat even though everyone has different set ups etc.

Wow, lighter than a 1L for you, will keep that in mind when I try them.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back