Photo

NHRA news Qatar Racing Club has terminated funding for all motorsports activities in North America

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 bzubee

bzubee

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

Breaking: Qatar Racing Club has terminated funding for all motorsports activities in North America. which includes the two-car Al-Anabi Racing team operated by Alan Johnson Racing, more > http://bit.ly/1rY55tG‪#‎NHRA‬

#2 Grimracer

Grimracer

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hum.. wonder how bad Traxxas pissed them off..............

Grim

#3 El Zorro

El Zorro

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Is this some kind of punishment for the drop in oil prices?

#4 bzubee

bzubee

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

No they are probably just cutting costs so they can afford to keep cutting prices in oil to stop US from producing oil.  They can produce oil for less $$ than any other country.

#5 Norm Doerr

Norm Doerr

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad Al-Thani has left the sport; nothing to do with energy, the drag racing deal was our equivalent of "beer money", or an "allowance".

Based on the "stories" of the past it may have something to do with indulging in activities unbecoming to the rules set forth by his lineage while spending time in the Western Hemisphere. OR He can no longer hang around with the "bad kids", slanderous to his family, he is grounded and his allowance has been taken away. :)

#6 Ray Sametz

Ray Sametz

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad Al-Thani has left the sport; nothing to do with energy, the drag racing deal was our equivalent of "beer money", or an "allowance".

Based on the "stories" of the past it may have something to do with indulging in activities unbecoming to the rules set forth by his lineage while spending time in the Western Hemisphere. OR He can no longer hang around with the "bad kids", slanderous to his family, he is grounded and his allowance has been taken away. :)

Too much "pouring champagne on bitches" :lol:

#7 Norm Doerr

Norm Doerr

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

Too much "pouring champagne on bitches" :lol:

Sometimes it snows in the desert.

#8 Chilli

Chilli

National Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

On the bright side, attended my first NHRA National in PA this past October. Had a awesome time. My son now understands why my eyes burn a little from  a boat's nitro fumes after we stood next to Tony Shumacher's top fueler during a test start up. Every gear head should go at least once in their life. In my case I think it will be an annual thing..   :)

Edited by Chilli, 07 January 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#9 moparbarn

moparbarn

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

On the bright side, attended my first NHRA National in PA this past October. Had a awesome time. My son now understands why my eyes burn a little from  a boat's nitro fumes after we stood next to Tony Shumacher's top fueler during a test start up. Every gear head should go at least once in their life. In my case I think it will be an annual thing..   :)

told ya so!! NOBODY can ever truly comprehend it until they go. Television CANNOT do it justice. the only thing tv can do better is the high speed/slomo cameras showing all the changes the car goes through on a pass.

#10 Ben Ballard

Ben Ballard

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:33 AM

And if you think that is cool... You should check out a top fuel hydro drag boat race... 257 MPH on water in 1000 ft. Is something to see!

#11 anthony_marquart

anthony_marquart

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

In Charlotte,.. we run Top fuel drags 4 wide.. THAT changes things..

#12 George Taylor

George Taylor

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

yes, Robin you are right, went to my first top fuel race in Suffolk , Va. when I was younger. Got to stand directly behind he starting line when one of the fuel funny cars made a run, sounded like all hell was breaking bad. They are impressive. NITRO!!!!!!!!

#13 Norm Doerr

Norm Doerr

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

Next time go over to the Kalitta pit, they pull the car(s) out in the aisle way to warm it, so close you can look down the pipes. Not sure anyone seats the clutch by "whapping" the throttle anymore, but like anything, that was the good old days. :)

#14 Chilli

Chilli

National Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

The cool thing is it's not just about the noise, these motors work over ALL your senses at the same time.  I remember this girl sitting in front of me. She had the hearing protection and was paying attention to what was going on. The still jumped out of her seat ever time the throttle slammed open on one of those nitro burning monsters. I cant believe some of crew members don't wear masks when they crank those motors up in the pits. Stood behind Force's funny car in the pits for a start up. I was there about two seconds. LOL

#15 Ray Sametz

Ray Sametz

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

Mike, funny you mention mask, I used to go to Englishtown on regular bases in the 90's. One time i blew my cookies from breathing raw nitro in the pits. Only reason we stopped going was it took 3 hours to get onto 516 to go home. It is pretty awesome when the ground shakes and don't blink or you'll miss it. :P