help with small electric hydro please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott williamson

Hi everyone

I posted this question on my local forum without really getting a response,im building a 26 inch plywood electric scale hydro for my 6 year old boy .I run gas and nitro hydros and know very little about electric boats .I would like to know which motor ,esc , shaft size etc to buy for the build .it would preferably run lipo batteries but it just needs to be fast enough to keep his interest ,I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

I had a look online at different bits but wasn't sure what to get.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Scott

26" is a small boat and won't break the bank with reasonable good electronic.I only run riggers and I'm building a smal one with this lenght so you can use a 36mm motor like a Leopard or a Tppower motor,a 120A esc like the Hobbywing and 3S or 4S batteries from Revolectric with 40C discharge,4mm flexshaft with 3/16'end for better prop selection.Motors with lower kv's are more suitable for long run's so you can think of 1600kv's on 4S .OSE forum is a great place to dig info or ask for good advises.Gill

I am also using 150 size cable (3/16 stub shaft) and 1/4" brass stuffing tube WITH a Teflon liner...If you prefer NO TEFLON LINER then a 7/32" brass tube is needed.

Timothy Jones on this site sells Hughey cables...nicest cables you will find imo...

Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott,

I would second the choice of the UL-1 power system on 4S. This is the Aquacraft 2030kv motor and 60A speed control. You can also look at the 1800kv system from the Motley Crue cat as a good alternative.

Tyler

Thanks Tyler...

To add to this...The ABC/Grim H-7 prop with this size boat and system has been a charmer...

-Kent

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your responses ,thats exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to know.l suppose the center of gravity is set the same as the bigger boats, just behind the sponsons? Im scaling down from one of my newton plans to build the 73 budweiser.

Like the others said you cant go wrong with the UL-1 setup. Put a little 1440 prop on it with a 3 of 4 cell battery and you will be very happy. The UL-1 setup is very robust.

Back