Doggy walking JAE 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eekern

Ran my jae 45 for the first time last weekend. Over all happy but the thing needed a LOT of left rudder to go straight. Got some suggestions from my club members but wanted more insight. I'm running jae hardware. Input?

Last edited by a moderator:
Take turn fin off a make a short run.

That will answer if it's turn fin related.

Just don't try any sharp turns.

Mike

Check the AOA on the sponsons. The right one always seems to end being higher. Also pay extra close attention to the bend in the turn fin. You will think it's parallel to the water but it is actually kicked up in the back and will drag the boat to the inside of the course. If the rudder is cut too short it won't hold the boat down the straights. Finally a dull propeller will cause prop walk as well. Hope you get it figured out.

Dave

Mine is doing the same thing The faster it goes the more it pulls to the right I'm gonna try shimming the right side of the strut out a bit to compensate for prop walk then i'm gonna rework my turn fin.......good luck

I seem to remember this topic about a year or two ago, talking about a JAE .21 though. I think they were talking about tow-in on the right front sponson about 1/8 inch might do the trick. I would definately try the turn fin first.

SHARP TURN FIN...SHARP RUDDER BLADE...SHARP PROP. NO TAPERED RUDDER BLADES...NO PROBLEM
default_smile.png

Now have fun and go FAST...

Stan is right on the nose.
No tapered rudders, even though we sell one. The tapered rudder produces lift- a bunch of it. Lift in the tail lets the prop walk all it wants.

Use a straight rudder, as wide and deep as you can. Trim a little at a time if you feel you need to.

The JAE boats like to see a certain amount of blade area under the ski, or they pull.

This is true for all sizes. If it pulls, it needs more blade area (width and/or depth).

Joe

Yes...that is the way to go...

If you have a weak servo, it WILL pull you into the course, especially the faster you go!!...I have tested that theory!

Believe it or not, a servo will actually work just as hard (if not harder) to keep a fast model boat going straight than it will in the corners! A VERY well known source sat down with me and explained this to me!!!

Just make sense....

-Kent

As mentioned and learnt from some very experienced boater's drop the rudder as low on the transom as possible and toe in your right sponson 1/8 at boom not tip. Make sure you fin is sharp and blended back. One last thing also make sure your prop is sharp as well,your pulling into course should go away.

With a boat having strong prop walking tendencies, servo torque is not the only thing to look for. I had a 41" cat which would pull very hard into the course, and it would occasionally hook coming out of a turn. I had a quarter scale servo with 200 oz/in of torque too! I substituted a digital servo of the same strength and the problems went away. Why? The digital servos have MUCH stronger centering force and will hold a line far better. Once I started using them in my SAW boats, prop walk was greatly diminished.

So here is the plan....Transom is now reinforced, going to get rid of my zipp kits rudder and use a accutech rudder with a big flat blade. Going to sharpen my turn fin both sides of the vertical surface, shim the strut a tad and finally toe in my right sponson 1/8th. Should need right rudder by the time I'm done. Servo is digi airtronics rated over 150oz.

if i was you.. change one thing and try it.. for the simple fact if you do all of that and it DOES fix it.. what truly fixed it?

nice to know for future reference.

Eric,

The servo is the main problem.

The rudder and toe in will also help a lot.

I will get you a fresh 1657 out next week and you should be all set

to go out racing again.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

If I can find time to test I will try the different adjustments individually......I just need to find some.

Mark, you think 150 oz isn't enought?

Eric,

150 should be plenty of servo on a 45 Hydro.

Like Jay Turner stated the digital servos hold the center much better.

We have verified that on the water testing SAW boats also.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Back