Impba Shirts For $9.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just type in the discount code. http://www.double-aceracingproducts.com
attachicon.gif
AA_T-Shirt_WhiteIMPBA_01.jpg

030c5ab4
Just tried to order 2 in XL, discount code doesn't work.

I'm curious if you got permission from the IMPBA to use their name on your shirts. There is nothing that I could find. Using the organizations name so YOU can make money is wrong and I'm sure illegal.

This shirt design was one that Roger created for the 2012 Internats hosted by the Charleston Model Boaters. We (CMB) had difficulty with the vendor to produce the shirts that did not allow us to proceed with the ordering of the shirts. The design is actually quite good.

I somehow don’t think that answers his question...

Seems to me an "event" shirt with the IMPBA name on it.. for sale, for business profit is a different deal.. no?

Grim

Anyone that has sold anything for RC boats knows that it is not a get rich quick scheme for sure. You mostly do it out of the love for it... Wanting to contribute to improve it in one way or another and maybe break even if you can. From a marketing point of view, I thought all the organizations could use a shirt that showed several styles of boats that are raced in the organization as well as clearly communicated what the organization was and does.

As far my understanding on permission, I was approached by Marty Davis to make the shirts. I did not think of doing this on my own. I would not have even created the shirt was not approached by a member first. I assumed he was the event director or otherwise authorized to make such an inquiry as part of his sanctioned race of IMPBA. I am not sure about this but I don't know if you require any and all race events to ask permission to use the logo on event material sold like hats, shirts, aprons etc. Probably not. I know NAMBA does not. If I thought this was common practice I would have. I donated my time and offered my design to be used for the IMPBA event and subsequently IMPBA as the events help support the organization. No one brought up my need to get permission at that time although it was published here on IW as well.

In addition, there are not a lot of customers in RC boating either so there was no price break for the low quantity that was produced.

I am now selling the shirts of $9 and anyone that knows the silkscreening process knows that I am not making money on a 6 color 2 sided T-shirt if they are only being sold at $9. We are actually taking a loss or to put it simply donating 3 dollars to every IMPBA member that purchases one.

We were also planning to give shirts to the IMPBA Nationals even to be used in the raffle. Once again supporting the IMPBA organization.

I am unaware of any published, trademark or copy right restrictions as well as any published process in this regard. But if the powers at be would rather we not sell them then we will oblige you and Lesson learned. : )

[SIZE=medium]I don’t think anybody is denying that adding more advertising to our hobby is a bad deal.. BUT.. this seemed strange that just weeks after the IMPBA (from the pres) went ahead and started a nice T for the org that this came along.. Timing was bad is all..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Now we learn that the IMPBA is going to make 3 bucks on each shirt.. FANTASTIC. But Roger is losing money in doing so… what.. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Please don’t take a loss.. Truth is your donation would be better served by keeping your IMPBA member ship current.. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Grimracer[/SIZE]

IMPBA will not make 3 bucks on the shirt. Sorry if I did not make myself clear. I was just trying to say that selling the shirt at a loss is like paying each person that buys the shirt $3. We are not planning on donating any money per shirt. Although we did have plans to send them to your Nationals event for use in the raffle.

PS. Our IMPBA shirts went on sale in April of 2013 and were posted here on IW long before now. I received no complaint then either.

I will admit that seeing the IMPBA shirts for sale recently reminded me to promote the ones I produced last year again.

There are NAMBA shirts at the site as well. We are selling the IMPBA shirts so cheap because they were not selling so we are getting rid of them to clear out the inventory.

Before we go down the NAMBA road.... Roger discussed his plan and received permission to sell NAMBA shirts. They were a big hit at the 2013 NAMBA Nationals.

Anyone that has sold anything for RC boats knows that it is not a get rich quick scheme for sure. You mostly do it out of the love for it... Wanting to contribute to improve it in one way or another and maybe break even if you can. From a marketing point of view, I thought all the organizations could use a shirt that showed several styles of boats that are raced in the organization as well as clearly communicated what the organization was and does.

As far my understanding on permission, I was approached by Marty Davis to make the shirts. I did not think of doing this on my own. I would not have even created the shirt was not approached by a member first. I assumed he was the event director or otherwise authorized to make such an inquiry as part of his sanctioned race of IMPBA. I am not sure about this but I don't know if you require any and all race events to ask permission to use the logo on event material sold like hats, shirts, aprons etc. Probably not. I know NAMBA does not. If I thought this was common practice I would have. I donated my time and offered my design to be used for the IMPBA event and subsequently IMPBA as the events help support the organization. No one brought up my need to get permission at that time although it was published here on IW as well.

In addition, there are not a lot of customers in RC boating either so there was no price break for the low quantity that was produced.

I am now selling the shirts of $9 and anyone that knows the silkscreening process knows that I am not making money on a 6 color 2 sided T-shirt if they are only being sold at $9. We are actually taking a loss or to put it simply donating 3 dollars to every IMPBA member that purchases one.

We were also planning to give shirts to the IMPBA Nationals even to be used in the raffle. Once again supporting the IMPBA organization.

I am unaware of any published, trademark or copy right restrictions as well as any published process in this regard. But if the powers at be would rather we not sell them then we will oblige you and Lesson learned. : )
IMPBA does not have a problem with a club using the IMPBA logo or name on IMPBA event shirts. The problem here is that a business is using a corporations logo or name without the corporations permission. If I would have seen these earlier I would be saying the same thing. I realize that selling these for $9 that there is no money to be made at that price. It was indeed bad timing for you to bring these shirts back out for sale just as the IMPBA is about to start selling their own shirts. If you would like to donate the shirts to an IMPBA event, I see no problem with that but I'm sure this post will not sit well with you and you would rather throw them away. I hope you understand my position on this issue

Chris Rupley

IMPBA President

IMPBA does not have a problem with a club using the IMPBA logo or name on IMPBA event shirts. The problem here is that a business is using a corporations logo or name without the corporations permission. If I would have seen these earlier I would be saying the same thing. I realize that selling these for $9 that there is no money to be made at that price. It was indeed bad timing for you to bring these shirts back out for sale just as the IMPBA is about to start selling their own shirts. If you would like to donate the shirts to an IMPBA event, I see no problem with that but I'm sure this post will not sit well with you and you would rather throw them away. I hope you understand my position on this issue

Chris Rupley

IMPBA President
Not sure if you have your policies posted or published anywhere. If you do great. If not, this would be hard to stand legally if you don't. I don't see a Trademark, Register Mark or Copy Rights anywhere. (You do have ownership of course based on history of useage but the whole point that it's okay to use in one instance but not any in another is fine if it's published but hard to make your argument if you don't should someone seriously want to challenge it.) Just a note for the future. That is not the case here.

I will talk to my dad to see what he wants to do. It's his business. I just do the graphics and promote it. If need be I'll pay my dad to cover his losses and donate them to the IMPBA nats in exchange for some promotion of the business at the event or something... and call it advertising. I am sure something can be worked out if indeed that is what people are open to. No fuss. No fight Here. And prefer this post to be locked so is not to instigate anything further. Please accept my apologies for the assumptions on my part.

Latest posts

Back