Flex Cable With Long Stub Shaft

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I used a bearing extender in the strut and now a standard cable (Aeromarine, Prather etc) will not fit. Who makes a cable with a long stub shaft?

Thanks,

kez

I always thought all stub shafts were the same
default_rolleyes.gif

As far as I know, all stub shafts are approximately 3" in length. That being said, you can probably order one with a custom stub shaft in the length you need

James and HJ, my cables all have stub shaft just over 3" in length. I extended the prop to just under the transom by pressing in an Octura bearing extender. But the shaft is now too short, The stub shaft does not reach the front bearing. So the Octura bearing extender is really useless if longer stub shafts are not available.

Mark, I am looking for a 3/16 cable with a long stub shaft

Thanks,

kez

Change the strut over to use a brass bushing setup and then you wont have a bastard setup every time you need to put a new shaft in the boat . Lots easier and more functional . JMHO .

If you put a extender why does that guarantee the need for a longer stub on a welded stub cable. Certainly there is enough support with the length the solid end stubs are made at.

Get a new cable and don't cut the flex as short. If it is missing the front bearing when it is back that far because of the extender just press the bearing at the front of strut back some.

But in any case IMO only slip in style bushings should be used with a welded stub cables.

Just run the 1/4" stuffing tube all the way through the strut to flush at the rear(or let in stick out a little if you want it longer like your extender made it and double it up beyond the strut). Stick a bushing in the end and slip the cable in

I am partial to the lead Teflon bushing. I have found that water can be a good lubricant using the Teflon bushing when/if the cable runs out of oil. Unlike needle bearings they don't wear into the shaft. As it is, the front bushing is running on the cable weld. I will try to machine the drive dog and make it shorter. Also a X450 has a shorter hub than a X450/3.

Eventually I might have to change out the strut and use a brass bush

Kez,

You can't seat the forward lead Teflon deeper in the strut and get it back on the solid shaft better ?

Dan,

That is a good idea but I would think I need half the length of the bush in the nose piece to be secure enough to work as a bearing surface. I will give it a try.

kez

Back