Life batteries for RX use - pros & cons?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Ok I've got a number of new builds going together this winter and will need to order batteries for them. Since it's been well over a year since numerous racers started using the Life batteries I'd like to hear some constructive feedback from those who've used them for an entire season in RX applications. I just bought one for my 4PK back in early November but still have all my boats fitted with 2500mah 6 volt Nimh packs. So how are the Life packs? How long do they hold a charge? How well do they do with big hi draw and digital servos? How fast does the charge drop off when they get low? Let's hear the "skinny"! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How about these numbers, twice the power and about half the weight/size over Nimh packs. They hold a charge with something like 2% loss over a month so that is another plus. They can stand more vibration (lower mass) and are sealed water tight (unless you damage the sealing plastic) and they can be charged in under 15 minutes with the correct charger that is. If you have a LiPO charger chances are it will do LiFE also, 5C charge rate (for Hyperion LiFE) so these things rock! The only down side is they will keep the voltage strong until the bitter end and then drops like a stone. I would use a good charger with a readout of how much mAH it put back into the pack after a boating use and that will pretty much set you "drive time" with the pack. I like the Hyperion chargers and LiFE packs as they are top notch products. I use 850 mAh packs for anything under a 67, and 1100+ for all the bigger boats. For the .12 boats a 200 mAh pack is SUPER, so small and lite it is almost like no battery at all!

As for high draw items, the LiFE packs have lower internal resistance so then can push out the electrons fast and hard, in other words they will keep up with ANY servo demans you will have in any boat.

So really the only down side is not knowing the amount left in a pack as the volt meter will not show you a drop like NiCDs and Nimh packs do. A good charger will fix that part so you really golden then.

Paul

Switched to LiFe in everything I have. My 4pk and all my boats are equipped with them and now I don't think I'd ever use anything else. They charge quickly - they hold a charge really well. Super happy with them. I have the hobbico brand charger and 4 of the hobbico flat 1900mah packs and 1 REEDY 1700mah pack. I have nothing bad to say about them at all..

I have been running them for about 2 years and zero problems. I draw them down once in a while out of curosity just to see how many ma is left in the pack. Have not ever used over 1/2 of the capicity. I use the 500mah packs in my 20 boats and the 800mah in the 40 boats.

Charles

I'm curious if they are stronger how far I can safely back down in capacity from the 2500mah I now run with Nimh vs. the Life packs especially in the twins.......

Well I guess I am the only one that had problems with liFe,I burnt 3 hitech mini servos using 6.6 volt liFes,I haven't used them since.of course I could of had a bad batch a servos.

Ok I've got a number of new builds going together this winter and will need to order batteries for them. Since it's been well over a year since numerous racers started using the Life batteries I'd like to hear some constructive feedback from those who've used them for an entire season in RX applications. I just bought one for my 4PK back in early November but still have all my boats fitted with 2500mah 6 volt Nimh packs. So how are the Life packs? How long do they hold a charge? How well do they do with big hi draw and digital servos? How fast does the charge drop off when they get low? Let's hear the "skinny"! :)
OMHO or the "Skinny". After the season you had last year, I wouldn't change a DAMM thing. If ain't broke.............you know the rest. Boat chucker. ;)

I'm curious if they are stronger how far I can safely back down in capacity from the 2500mah I now run with Nimh vs. the Life packs especially in the twins.......
Well Don I'd say keep the same capacity but the LiFE will be half the weight/size. I know a few Oz in a twin is no biggie, but the smaller size MAY be more important.

I've been using these in all my boats, F monos and E/F hydros, all with digital servos for two seasons and they work fantastic. Zero issues. I would never go back to Nicads or Nimh. For a detailed overview of them go http://www.hangtimes...giants_faq.html. Lots of good information on his site and his product is fantastic.

I use the A123's from Hangtimes above. His packs of all types are extremely well built and he assembles them to your ordered specs.

;) I like to switched different size Life batterys onto my Cobra twin and all riggers also B) I read best of one " Hyperion" voltage ,capacity,and balance view tester before go to run Important put LiFe with foam into wrap bag from prevent wet or moisture because harness and cell will eat to become acid& mold and will may decrease volt or amp. also keep warm foam reason depend on weather cold or rain cool because will may little drop low volt. Look voltwatch tester disconnect harness because cant use for LiFe only use NiMH

I love both Hobbico and Hyperion LiFe batterys ( very light weight ) "Thumb UP "

I am trust to " Grimracer" Grim talk proof story :) threw old NiCd and MiMh batterys

Don, if you put one of the life source 1100mah in your twin, you could get to the pond at day break and run until nightfall and never even come close to using the capacity of the battery. I have been using these batteries for a long time now and they are great.

Don,

LiFe Batteries are just what you need,small,pack a big punch,and like a TOOTSIE roll last a long time :~}. Could mean the difference in a record trial boat.

Nails

Don, if you put one of the life source 1100mah in your twin, you could get to the pond at day break and run until nightfall and never even come close to using the capacity of the battery. I have been using these batteries for a long time now and they are great.
Seriously? That's one of the things I wanted to know, is everyone else using these seeing the same thing?

I have been running the A123 1100 hard cells in both scale and sp-40 for a couple seasons now. I often go two races before charging and I have yet to put back over 300 mah, usually about 150-125 after one race. Love the 15 min recharge and the ability to totally tape up the boat and get it ready to go and not have to leave it on charge till the morning. I sometimes get the boat ready a couple of days in advance, (which I wouldn't do with NIMH). I went with A123 cells cause they are sooooo electrically robust and vibration resistent. I buy NIP VPX drill packs and make my own packs by removing the plastic case and soldering on wire and connecters, much cheaper than buying single A123 cells. I am considering going to Hobbycity packs when I run out of VPX packs, cause the soft cells seem to be working well for 99% of the people. No regulater. I once left the reciever on overnight thought the battery was ruined but it seemed to be okay after recharging. Rudy

Don my 4pl requires lipo rx packs and i use the 1300mah life pack it has more than enough power.if u wanna try a pack pm me i will send u 2 so u can try them out

Latest posts

Back