OPS PIPES and Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt Barney

Vendor
Aeromarine is no longer a dist. of OPS Pipes and engines, :( I had a conversation with Aeromarine today and this is what I was told. No reson was given.

Walt Barney

Aeromarine is no longer a dist. of OPS Pipes and engines, :( I had a conversation with Aeromarine today and this is what I was told. No reason was given.Walt Barney
Honestly why am I not real surprised to hear this. If OPS had gotten on board years ago and altered their engine mounting to match what others were using I'd bet you'd have seen more of them out there. Heck the prices were good & I've seen some fast OPS motors but that bastard bolt pattern which meant changing everything to even try them was the Achille's heel. :huh:

i dont like what i hear, but i have to say it was the fact that k&b now ops has or will leave i think because both motors were not used after the transitions.

they lost populairity in boating, what was great about ops was you could get parts from years back this in it self is better than having to upgrade your motor.

why dont the other motor companys keep parts on hand after they have quit making an out dated one.

what im saying is we need to support k&b so they will get back into boating, they are made in U.S.A. this is just my thought.

i dont like what i hear, but i have to say it was the fact that k&b now ops has or will leave i think because both motors were not used after the transitions.they lost populairity in boating, what was great about ops was you could get parts from years back this in it self is better than having to upgrade your motor.

why dont the other motor companys keep parts on hand after they have quit making an out dated one.

what im saying is we need to support k&b so they will get back into boating, they are made in U.S.A. this is just my thought.

now watch cmb raise the price of there motor's now, andy, please come out with a $200 kickash motor. or buy ops company.

I look forward to Andy's new engines, but most of mt stuff is purchased used so I can stay around the 200.00 ish range. Andy: If you manufacture a 67 and upo for under 350.00 I will save my lunch money for a couple.

.......... what was great about ops was you could get parts from years back this in it self is better than having to upgrade your motor. why don't the other motor companies keep parts on hand after they have quit making an out dated one........
OPS stuff was never really outdated, at least as far as what they produced anyway. Other than the 67/80 drum rotor set up they got from Aeromarine the motors remained virtually unchanged for many years. :blink:

.......... what was great about ops was you could get parts from years back this in it self is better than having to upgrade your motor. why don't the other motor companies keep parts on hand after they have quit making an out dated one........
OPS stuff was never really outdated, at least as far as what they produced anyway. Other than the 67/80 drum rotor set up they got from Aeromarine the motors remained virtually unchanged for many years. :blink:
The picco EXR drum front hsg`s & drum would fit into the OPS 80. It just took a little machining for the drum & crank clearence. Ops & Picco engines were very much alike....... High Priced Nitro Enignes & a lack of Mfgers is hurting Nitro classes today. Many of the weekend boaters are gone due to the High Prices.... How Much is TOO MUCH for a Nitro Engine? I believe the Point is being pushed right Now......

Last edited by a moderator:
Long live the PICCO !!!!

Speaking of Picco

Joe maybe you have heard this too.. From what we all know Picco is no longer making Marine engines because the car engine sales are where the money is at.. Having said that here is what I heard.. Picco, even though not making the marine motors, had to pay tax on the tools. Picco has from what I understand destroyed the marine engine tools to avoid paying taxes..

That my friend, if true is a shame.. a real shame

Can anybody elaborate?

Grimracer

Speaking of Picco
Joe maybe you have heard this too.. From what we all know Picco is no longer making Marine engines because the car engine sales are where the money is at.. Having said that here is what I heard.. Picco, even though not making the marine motors, had to pay tax on the tools. Picco has from what I understand destroyed the marine engine tools to avoid paying taxes..

Can anybody elaborate?

Grimracer

I hate when companies do this kind of thing , I sure hope its not true.

My company has buried machines in concrete floors , welded up perfectly good lathes , grinders and mills just so they couldnt be used by any one else.

It makes me crazy when I see perfectly good machines or tooling being destroyed especially when its tooling I made.

Tim K

Speaking of Picco

Can anybody elaborate?

Grimracer
I hate when companies do this kind of thing , I sure hope its not true.

My company has buried machines in concrete floors , welded up perfectly good lathes , grinders and mills just so they couldnt be used by any one else.

It makes me crazy when I see perfectly good machines or tooling being destroyed especially when its tooling I made.

Tim K
Unfortunately this type of thing happens all the time in many countries including the U.S. As long as tooling, machinery, stamps, dies, whatever is usable big brother, otherwise known as the government, considers it to have value & yes you will pay taxes on it. I have heard from three different sources, two in Europe, that Picco had destroyed the tooling a couple years ago to avoid these taxes. This is also why I get a good laugh every February when someone posts pics of the "new" Picco motors on display at the Nurnberg Toy Fair thinking that Picco is gonna make marine motors again. It's all window dressing to fill up the glass display cases and I'm sure this coming February it will happen again. I'll be the first to admit I'd love to see Picco marine engines again if anything just to give us another option but I really don't see that happening ................

Walt,

Does this mean that OPS has another distributor or are they stopping manufacturering?

Phil

Speaking of Picco

Can anybody elaborate?

Grimracer
You are right, the car engines is where the money is. I have not herd anything about the tooling. As Mr. Picco is still making 10cc tether car engines, which uses the same casting as the 67 marine engine. J. ODonnell

Speaking of Picco

Can anybody elaborate?

Grimracer
Well we do have to pay personal property tax on Business tools required to do business & inventory in the us. I would have to think the taxes on castings would be minor compared to the expense they were to have them made. Picco had a great thing going with the marine product line It was the days of the afforadable engines. If they were built today I do not know that they would not be right there with the CMB prices. Its all what the market will yield. Some of the same 2001 PICCO 45 engines that sold for $235 in 2001 will fetch $500 plus today. I`am glad I have a few extra Picco`s.... :D :D

Speaking of Picco

Can anybody elaborate?

Grimracer
Well we do have to pay personal property tax on Business tools required to do business & inventory in the us. I would have to think the taxes on castings would be minor compared to the expense they were to have them made. Picco had a great thing going with the marine product line It was the days of the afforadable engines. If they were built today I do not know that they would not be right there with the CMB prices. Its all what the market will yield. Some of the same 2001 PICCO 45 engines that sold for $235 in 2001 will fetch $500 plus today. I`am glad I have a few extra Picco`s.... :D :D
Joe; You are right about the price of the engines. Last year(2006) a 10cc Picco delivered in the USA was 504 euro at todays rate that would be $746.00 dollar. Are we getting scr---- or what ? J.ODonnell

What are all the differences between car and boat engines? Seems like you should be able to take a .21 car engine, change the timing with different machining on the sleeve, and use a simple water cooled head, and whala.. Maybe different bearings for continual high speed use. I could be totally wrong here but one would think that an engine manufacturer that makes .21's now would be able to make a sleeve and cooling head, then have a .21 marine engine to push into the market. Of course this engine would probably not be like a new MAC but but hey,.. most of us can't justify one anyway.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXFAC3&P=R.. Take this engine, with timing for a marine engine and a water cooled head. It would probably be fine for most club races. It seems to me that there is actually money to be made here.

I don't know how the sleeves are actually manufactured but if the ports are CNC'ed, all it would cost is the additional programing to cut the ports. they could even use a die-cast cooling head, just machine the sealing face and thread the water ports.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...XBN19&P=R,..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXSLH3&P=R

And .12's.. http://www.nitrohouse.com/images/engine_pi...picco/51124.jpg I think this would be a great marine engine timed correctly.

Maybe I'm way off,.. but it seems like there could be lots more.21 size engines out there without a tremendous amount of work on the manufactures part..

maybe I'm totally wrong.. I must be because no one is doing it..

Joe; You are right about the price of the engines. Last year(2006) a 10cc Picco delivered in the USA was 504 euro at todays rate that would be $746.00 dollar. Are we getting scr---- or what ? J.ODonnell
All the more reason that it is (was?) a shame that the OPS motors mount different from everyone else. The current OPS drum rotor .67 motor sells for $359 & the .80 drum motor for $369 and I'll be the first to say I've seen some of these motors run really well. Could it have been all that **** difficult to alter the casting on just the mounting ears & make the pattern the same as a CMB/MAC/Picco?? I know there probably would have been a good number of people, including myself, who would have bought some .67's & .80's and worked with them if this were the case but that #@&%$^# goofy bolt pattern stopped that idea dead in it's tracks. :(

All the more reason that it is (was?) a shame that the OPS motors mount different from everyone else. The current OPS drum rotor .67 motor sells for $359 & the .80 drum motor for $369 and I'll be the first to say I've seen some of these motors run really well. Could it have been all that **** difficult to alter the casting on just the mounting ears & make the pattern the same as a CMB/MAC/Picco?? I know there probably would have been a good number of people, including myself, who would have bought some .67's & .80's and worked with them if this were the case but that #@&%$^# goofy bolt pattern stopped that idea dead in it's tracks. :(
When Tower quit selling OPS I quit running them, They were cheap back then too... I blew the rod out of many OPS 80`s, Frank orlic modiified some OPS 80`s that would scream.......

Back