Long stroke engine and short stroke engines.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Besides the stroke being different what are the other differences in the Short stroke engines and the Long Stroke engines.

Which type of hull would they be best suited for.For example would the engine with the most top end be best is a hydro or rigger?

And the one with the stronger bottom end be best suited in a mono?

I am just guessing and have no idea :unsure:

Thanks

Terry

Besides the stroke being different what are the other differences in the Short stroke engines and the Long Stroke engines.
Which type of hull would they be best suited for.For example would the engine with the most top end be best is a hydro or rigger?

And the one with the stronger bottom end be best suited in a mono?

I am just guessing and have no idea :unsure:

Thanks

Terry
Terry:

I have run the Short Stroke, Long Stroke and the Long Stroke with Short Stroke Liner and Piston.

The fit of the engine is more important than selection of any of the above. If you break the engine in correctly and the head volume and clearance is correct, you will be highly satisfied with any of them. Truthfully, I could not see a lot of difference in any of them both on the water and on the dyno.

I would suggest that you send you engine to any of several engine tuners to set them up correctly. The three that I would suggest are Franco Orlic, Rod Geraghty or Chris Wood. All of them run the Nova Rossi and all are very proficient at setting them up correctly.

Marty Davis

Marty,

You can scratch Frank off the list.

He retired more than a year ago.

The only motors he does are his own now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry,

I might be corrected a little but here goes. In most part the term "long stroke" brought the engine up to what is called a "square bore". That term means that the stroke equals the bore. I looked around some and some of the better manufacture rated engines and they have a square bore. As for Novarossi the long stroke is difinetly the way to go. Good thing because that is all that is available. Picco long stroke 45s were also better. I cannot speak for the others.

Terry,I might be corrected a little but here goes. In most part the term "long stroke" brought the engine up to what is called a "square bore". That term means that the stroke equals the bore. I looked around some and some of the better manufacture rated engines and they have a square bore. As for Novarossi the long stroke is difinetly the way to go. Good thing because that is all that is available. Picco long stroke 45s were also better. I cannot speak for the others.

In case of Novarossi stroke is longer than bore dia, so it is not square but it sure works well. As for choosing long or short stroke my vote goes to long stroke. In my opinion long stoke is better engine in any boat if done right. LS has bigger crank and much better case.

And Walt is right I no longer do engines.

Back