Great Silent Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Santistevan

It is with a heavy heart that I am reporting the passing of Jim Wilson from District 9. Jim was one of the all time greats in this hobby who was there to help anyone who asked. Over the past five years I have come to know and respect his intellect, experience and passion for the hobby and just his beautiful nature. Jim was a member of the NAMBA Hall of fame since 2005. Jim we will miss you very much, rest my friend!

Jim Wilson was a long time District Nine boater and member of the Model Mariners. He has served numerous stints as club Commodore and Contest Director. Jim has served as the District Nine Rule and Technical Chairman, and is looked to for his knowledge and understanding of our hobby. He has won numerous National Championships. He has also won over 40 district championships. He is always helpful to other boaters, doing what he can to make sure that they get on the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Jim being a good friend there is a big empty place in my heart right now.....................
default_sad.png

I am so sadden by this awful news that I can hardly see to type! Rest in peace my dear friend. I will truly miss our long talks.

Don

I knew he was having issues but we both thought Stanford Medical had it handled, **** what a lose. We've been friends for a lot of years, that's the worst part of getting older, loosing good friends!!! My best to his wife and family.

John

I am so sad. I only talked with Jim last week. We met in Hobart last year. He was a good friend and forever in my heart.

So sorry to hear this news. I met Jim a few years ago at the Hobart race and instantly you knew what a good person he was and how much passion he had for our sport. He would get on the microphone and call the Scale, Sport 40 and Thunderboat races at Hobart and it just added so much to the racing, especially for the spectators. He knew his way around a nitro engine, also. What a talent, what a nice guy. Our prayers go out to his family . Such a loss to them as well as the model boating community.

Dick Tyndall

I met Jim once at the NAMBA nationals here in Florida he was the nicest man you wanted to know and went out of his way to help anyone this is a big lose R.I.P

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jim's Wife, family, and friends. (which I was lucky enough to be one) A great loss to the R/C boating world.... Just a great and giving person!

Steve Ball

I spoke with Jim just a couple weeks ago. About the second or third time I had spoken to him since Christmas. When I spoke to him in February he didn't sound good at all. He was battling pneumonia. When I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago he sounded much better but had told me he had suffered some heart issues. Being a former medic my jaw was on the floor with what he had told me I was surprised he had even called me. His tone was definitely more terminal than it was in February. I was very surprised by that. He seemed to know the end was coming. He seemed like he wanted to say some things and he thanked me for some epic battles we had racing each other in various classes. That right there told me a lot about where his head was. Jim had always been very candid about his issues with me because he knew I would understand what he was dealing with. I have to commend him for battling as he did for so long. Regardless of what we had talked about...every conversation with him always ended with "Please give Diane's and my best to your family." He will definitely be missed.

Jim was a gentlemen boater if there ever was one and he will be greatly missed. He loved the people, the camaraderie and the challenges of finding that last 1/10 of a percent. Although I only knew him for a short few years he was a great mentor and steward of the hobby, always willing to stop and chat about any subject. I have never come across a CD who put more enthusiasm into calling a race whether it's a kids R boaters heat or 7 twin riggers all on plane. It won't be the same without him. RIP Jim.

-Tyler

He was like a father to me...love and admired my boys...at the last race my son had finished a second perfect day in sport21 and said he couldn't wait to race Jim..."he was our benchmark" he said. Jim helped me so much as he did for many other boaters, but seemed to care about me and my boys so much. we didn't always see eye to eye while racing each other, we were competitive...but never left the pond without a hand shake. Jim you are missed.

I'm truly sadden by this, was the best boater with knowledge, friendship and support of the hobby D9 had. So proud to call him a friend and have so many memories. My heart goes out to Diane, Shawna and I send our love and prayers. Rest in peace Jim, thank you for all that you did and God bless.

The Pillado's

Jim and I spoke very often. He would keep me updated on his trial and tribulations with the so called "Medical Community" in his area of California. He is another mistake that they will bury. It was not the lack of available technology, it was the total lack of caring that killed him.

Met Jim last year at Hobart, and since that time we spoke quite often and quickly became good friends. He eagerly shared his years of experience and expertise and I always looked forward to our next conversation. His enthusiasm for our sport was immeasurable. Thoughts and prayers to his wife Diane and all of Jims family and friends.

Back