Another newb bitting-off more that they can chew, right?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Prins

Hello,

I should start by saying that I have a Victory steel pipe from Gizmo's, a 28.5cc Zen w/ Gizmo mod and WT-1048, and a radio/reciever to get me started. This hull is tough to get info on but I'd like to use a dual rudder setup like the one in this link to ebay

( http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mountain-Hobbies-Super-Cat-49-ARR-Custom-Order-RC-Boat-Hull-Speedmaster-Hard-/120990354069 ).

Some of the terminology is beyond my knowlege, like a newb hahaha! but closing the gap on the full range of terms and measurements.

Like to know setup techniques, and hardware suggestions. That would be great.

What do you say...can you help me set this baby up? I'll send you a beautiful postcard with all my gratitude, unless this thread blows up.

Anyway I look forward to recieving some suggestions.

Cheers,

Mark

Supercat49.jpg

Its kinda funny to me because I was just looking at this boat today and wondered how it would do.

Gas cats are pretty cool!!!

I know nothing about setting this up.

Your Going To Have Some Fun Running This Boat!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, the very same one? Well the boat sale is a matter of a formality I guess still, but I'll be in deep pretty soon. I think this might take quite some time to accomplish, the BJ55 is going to provide some fun when the build gets tricky or as parts are shipped. Thanks Timothy.

So there are no holes drilled anywhere? Hardware placement Plans?

As far as bolt on items

I know people use IV bags for fuel tanks,tygon tubing for fuel,,silicone for water.

Also a Shaft saver and oiler for the flex shaft.

2 rudder setup??? Not sure

And the tubing is another thing I have. No holes anywhere, gotta cut the vents out myself. Thinking of only dooing the two on the sides and installing vents on the hull if necessary. Will look into the shaft saver. Thanks again. Are you a newb also lol?

Look for me there, I'm "rcdreamer". Haven't explored Jim's much, another great tip. Much appreciated, and sorry I didn't remark your accolades. Beauty!

Getting the hardware I want is the first hurdle. I requested a couple Butch Blocks form Bonzi along with most all the running gear, and asked Gizmo if they could supply the same, but I don't know what they'll have of it yet. What I can't do is get into contact with Mountain Hobbies, they have the dual speedmaster rudder with custom tie-bar, and the Block, all the right parts in one place, but I only find a long distance phone number for them. It could just be that I didn't look hard enough.

Well some bad news for me, I got screwed. The seller was double dealing and Im out a boat. Thanks life, time to make some lemonaide!

Mark, I think the bad sale might be a blessing in disguise if you still have your money. Was the boat you were going to purchase from Mountain Hobby or was it a Mountain Hobby hull? We had a new member in my club buy a Mountain Hobby RTR boat and it's been a nightmare for him. He wanted a RTR race boat and lets just say the boat he got was nowhere near the quality and performance advertised. You've got a good motor and pipe. Bruce at Gizmo sells quality stuff. Now go put it in a high quality hull that that matches the quality of the components you want to put in her. I suggest an Aeromarine Conquest or a cat from AC Model Boats. Not only will you get a high quality hull that performs well, but you'll find a ton of setup info on JRCBD.

BTW- The dual rudder doesnt offer any performance advantage. But if you want it just for looks on a sport (fun) boat, thats cool.

Solid guys, thanks chilli, thanks Timothy, thanks Robert. I took a week to pay, I had warned him and asked if hed wait. I kept him informed and updated, and while it was posted sold pending payement, he accepted somebodys offer and sold without telling me. I sent him the money and he seemed shocked, which is not fair since I assured him I was buying it. He didnt accept the payment which was 185 shipped. I couldnt say no to a big cat at that price, but it said no to me.

The boat looks like the Mountain Hobbies boat, probably is. I felt a bit relieved actually when he sold it to someone else, but if I say Im paying, well thats not a joke! Anyhow what I really want, and more than a Cat is a 1/4 scale tunnel hull, fitted with a 26cc. DPI wont say the price of one, and have been out of stock forever so I moved on temporarily. I also cant find out how a 26cc would work in one and the place to get the parts.

Got a BJ 55 rudder upgrade, my fun/sport boat, from Aeoromarine Laminates, so there is a relationship building there. The 49inch they make is nice and very common (for a reason, yes), and Enforcer has a nice cat they just put out, the Splitn Immage.

U have a real good motor have u given any thought to a rigger hull set it up slow to learn on then let it rip LOL . Also dont go to cheap on a radio it can be the differance between a fun day or bad day . if u want to see my firefighter rigger run type in adams firefighter rigger video it will go to utube i belive . adam also what area U in maybe we can help u find a couple good local guy's to help u more .

Hey Adam.

Riggers are Soooooo fast, the beasts are amazing to watch. Must be a rush to pilot. So far running the already built cat I have has been trying. Two cyls and pistons scuffed on my 26cc Zen. A whole other story.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, home of the Ottawa Valley Racers in D1. I know two guys there, but Chris Johnston only just got into gas(f/e and nitro formerly) and he's very busy blowing up his own motors. The other isn't a one stop shop for every answer, though Luc White(thanks buddy) is more than willing to tackle a question with you. So thank you to all those who do know their stuff inside and out for the support, when we all understand it's a pain in the ass!!

Radio-wise, I wanted a 4pl but for $$'s I got a 3pl. Thought it would be temporary but you know; temporaroly=until it breaks.

About the new engine, I don't have the top-end joined to the bottom end of the Zen 28.5cc because the bottom is dirty, inside the crankcase. I was hoping to learn how to clean the inside of it and get combustion/gas residues out before putting the thing together.

Mark

Latest posts

Back