how to choose and read glow plugs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the end of a run you want the element slightly pulled out of the plug body and have a sand blasted finish.

O'Donnell #89's are an excellent glow plug for our applications.

B

Here is something from a long time ago.

Not sure who wrote it but, it still what you need to look for.

GLOWPLUG.doc

Attachments

• GLOWPLUG.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 265
please advice

julian
Julian the color of the element is the fuel mixture ( It does not lie & pay attention to it) & the color of the ring around the plug is the operation temp of the engine...... the perfect plug is...Element is slightly colored Gray, Ring around the plug is light carmel colored Brown & the packing in the plug still white..... if this happens at the same time your boat sounded clean on the pipe & was Hauling ars?? You have arrived my boy!!!!!!!!!!

awesome thank for the tip guys. another question If the element be pulled just a bit after a run is that a good thing or not. joe they are running just like you said thanks my friend. but my engines are running on 36 on the borris mazor with the pipes at 12 im going to put the H667 and the pipes in a bit should i keep the same number on the flow meter ??

julian

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome thank for the tip guys. another question If the element be pulled just a bit after a run is that a good thing or not. joe they are running just like you said thanks my friend. but my engines are running on 36 on the borris mazor with the pipes at 12 im going to put the H667 and the pipes in a bit should i keep the same number on the flow meter ??

julian
Try the New props H667 with the long pipes 1st. Then after you read the plug. Change the pipe length. But I would only change it 1/4 @ a time. 1/2 is a Big adjustment when you are already very cose. My picco 80 twin knew the difference in a 1/8 of pipe length. But it was on edge most of the time it was raced. AS for the Flow meter reading . Remember this is a relative number that is only restriction to flow. if you shorten the same pipe You will have to richen up the needle. If you change the OIL Content in the Fuel You will have to flow a different needle number. the Needle adjustment see`s Viscosity Changes in the fuel First & Most..... (oil) content!!!!!! Stay Consistant on fuel & oil percentages while you are testing for more Performance.Have Ralph put a Third channel mixture control in your New Xtreme Twin ... :blink:

got it will run as is with the new props and then ill go from there. use the same fuel on the Twin as i have 50% nitro and 18% Oil ill run the boat with the same flow number i have..

talking to ralph today on the Extreme Twin :p

julian

got it will run as is with the new props and then ill go from there. use the same fuel on the Twin as i have 50% nitro and 18% Oil ill run the boat with the same flow number i have..

talking to ralph today on the Extreme Twin :p

julian
Julian dont be afraid of 60% nito in the 80`s.. You little engines 20-45`s would love 65%

i use 65% and 18% oil in my small engines dont have 45 engines anymore but ill stick to 50% for now lol until i drop 101's RS Big Bore Mofos in my new extreme lol..

julian

Latest posts

Back