Australian F1 Boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markjor

Zenoah 260 Mid engine F1 Tunnel hull is ready to race .

j2.jpg

j2.jpg

j1.jpg

100_7049.JPG

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_8WTfBGEXqw

video

Well after a couple of weeks of sorting out the engine placement , boat is no up and racing . At its first race meeting in open petrol tunnel finished with 2 seconds and a crash , boat is on the pace but a bit slow in the corners , over proped a little but have ordered some smaller dia props to run , boat is running full modified Omen race engine and vodoo 7016 prop , gps reading 93 ks but will improve on that with a few more revs ,boat is sitting just like the real boat and so much fun to drive .

100_7055.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom pics?
Nice work.

its good to see that you have taken the time to build a nice boat. but i still cant understand why you did it?

A inboard tunnel running on GAS for what? if you have the time and money why not try a geard twin with two K&B 7.5 pro power heads. on a 1.2 gearbox.

80.000 rpm and 6hp stock in a 33in delta force and you have yourself a invention and a winner in mono class.

to much gas is not a good thing we all have to remember that it all started with nitro.

just be sure that you plant some trees before you test the inboard GAS F1 next time

Will put some bottom pictures on later, a zenoah outboard leg will fit on the back and will go well , should have one being tested in a few weeks , will keep you posted , we built the gas tunnel so when the real F1 boats race in our town we can put a scale race as well , we have a group of guys all keen to race these as a F1 class not for oval racing , most of us are over nitro and gas is the go

Will put more photos and video up later this week i hope

gas is for the car to get to the races, batteries are for tx's & rx's, NITRO IS FOR RACING! just kidding :p :lol: :lol: ! cool looking boat, very nice build. just not sure about a "fake" outboard ? i understand the reasoning, hardware & such is cheaper, simpler & more readily available to do an ib version. does the dummy ob turn with the rudder? that would really complete the illusion.

If the knuckle draggers from Jacksonville see that they will be runnin scared! Speaking of which, anybody seen those rednecks anywhere?

Markie the only reason you crashed was because you were too busy seeing how good the boat looked on the water and forgot to turn at bouy one!!!!!!!!!!

Could you post some picture of the back of your boat? I have a F1 gas hull but the boats her use Lawless and Morty legs and cables seem to still be problem. That is why this class is not growing here. I have toyed with doing an inboard like yours.

100_7054.JPG

We have run the stuffing tube basically surface drive and on the last run we where pulling 17500 revs with a vodoo 1716 2 blade prop , boat is handling well and with a little positive on the strut cornering very nicely , you can email me at [email protected] if you want more info

The purist will tell you thats not an F1 but a cat with a F1 cowl on it. Ever thaught of keeping the inboard setup with a steering leg on the back? Thats the route I want to follow. But still looks mean and great work.

Cobus

The purist will tell you thats not an F1 but a cat with a F1 cowl on it. Ever thaught of keeping the inboard setup with a steering leg on the back? Thats the route I want to follow. But still looks mean and great work.
Cobus
A f-1 Is a cat also. That Is a mod vp tunnel because of the ride pad. Here In the states one would have to run that boat In the hydro class. I have built a few mod vp boats.

Well if we are quoting rules;

Australian Model Power Boat Association rule book, section 7.2.3

A tunnel Hull is defined as one having two (2) only unbroken sponsons, with or without steps, running the full length of the craft. The sponsons are to be the only part of the hull to come into contact with the water, thus creating a tunnel effect through the length of the craft.

section 16.2

The hull must consist of unbroken full length sponsons with or without steps which are the sole running surface of the boat. The motor must turn on pivot of the transom to provide the steering of the craft. No extra rudders are to be used.

So by AMPBA rules - it's technically a hydro, But having said that - who cares. As long as the owner is happy with the boat, isn't that the main thing? Even if it is raced against inboard tunnels/Cats - it's not likely to have any unfair advantage..... yet if it's racing against hydro's it's going to be severely disadvantaged.

Tim, what about the Insane cats with the lowered bit down the centre of the tunnel, isn't that the same sort of thing?

Tim, what about the Insane cats with the lowered bit down the centre of the tunnel, isn't that the same sort of thing?
Hey Grub, how is ya?

I don't think that the insane's "lowered bit" is a planing surface though???? I believe it was submitted & declared legal? I must confess I don't know the details - it's an inboard petrol tunnel - not really my cup of tea.

A bit hard to argue that Marks boat isn't using the centre part as a planing surface when the propshaft is higher than it, wouldn't you think? Ultimately I don't give a monkeys - it still looks cool and if it corners well, even better.

Back