Painting on Gel coat finish.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon White

Supporting Member
I have a AC Sport hydro an had to fix the cowling and going to paint it. Also have a Sport 20 that is Gel coat finish I want to paint. Would I just sand the top surface up and paint over it or is there something else I should do first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wash it with hot water & plain Dawn dish detergent (no scents or skin softeners), then dry & wipe with acetone or lacquer thinner. That way you won't sand any contaminants into the surface. Repeat after sanding, & wipe with a tack cloth before painting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your paint as epoxy or urethans are thicker and flow out better. with them you could sand with #180 to #320. What ever you use they can tell you, but make sure it is fuel proof!!! I use endura and it flows out on #180 nicely.

Brad

180 for primer ,320 or higher for top coat, I use 400 for single stage 500 for base clear , the more time you take for prep the better the job will be .

I use the red scotch brite pad after i washed it in dawn soap.I spray the cowl with high hiding white form house of Kolors as a base coat.This is a primer for all paint.

Latest posts

Back