Flywheel Puller - CMB 45 VAC - What have you found to work well?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCapaldi

Supporting Member
I found the flywheel on my CMB VAC 45 to be pretty locked on and I'm having trouble getting it to budge. The flywheel covers most of the front of the case so the puller I have isn't able to get a grip on it to pull it off. What type of flywleel pullers have you found to work well?...any experience with this particular engine is especially needed.

Thanks,

Chris

I have been using a Blue Point battery terminal puller for the 21 and 45 motors. It just has enough reach to let he jaws sit in the starter cord V. A light tap with a mallet and they pop off with moderate pressure from the puller.

https://store.snapon.com/Cable-Clamp-Tools-Cable-Clamp-Puller-Self-Locking-Jaws-P635759.aspx

CJ92.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used a 3 jaw puller for 26 years like the one Elias has but it does not have the Posi Lock, you just have to hold it in place until it is snugged up. Bought it at Pep Boys.

Todays price is $30 back then it was much cheaper.

25903nopkg.jpg

I just use a small snapon dead blow hammer,a few raps on the side and it pops off

Chris,

Head down to your local Sears store and buy one of their battery cable pullers.

I would not be hitting the crank with a hammer. I hope you have a bearing

installation tool for the rebuild, and some shims for the case?

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Hi Mark, I don't have any specific tools or shims. I'll call you to talk more as I'm noticing I probably need them. The stubbornness of this flywheel is not anything I've seen in years and the puller I have here just won't fit with flywheel / case gap.

Chris

My dad brought this home from work for me when when i was a kid (after blowing up my first k&b 13cc haha). It works awesome for our flywheels. I googled the part number on the side and i guess its an alternator pully puller. The KD brand like i have seem to be a little pricey but I looked on amazon and found another that i bet would do just fine. The half moon peices have different diameters on each end so you can do big and small flywheels too.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W87020-Steering-Alternator/dp/B000N3461S

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Brian

It's to take off the power steering pulley.I have all sizes when i worked for GM.

Hi Chris, I think you have one of the three arm type pullers. They were real popular in this area because they were inexpensive and available. I have one of them myself. As the flywheel clearance on some of the smaller engines got tighter I simply ground the pulling tabs on the three arms down to fit. I grind them on a taper from the tip of the tab as not to lose strength wen pulling larger engines. Give me a call and I can better explain what I do. Call by Tuesday as I am having surgery next week and will not be available for a couple of weeks. Jerry

Back