Rudder position relative to prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHail

So what are the pros and cons of mounting the rudder in front of vs. behind the prop? On my JAE 91 their hardware has the rudder in front of the prop. Due to the narrow tub I'm considering mounting the rudder to the side of the tub vs. the transom as the transom mounted rudder has the bolts just inside the corner of the side/transom transition and I'd rather put some tri-stock in that spot to beef up the joint.

rudder in front is in cleaner water which means you can run a smaller rudder. On my personal gas riggers I only run a .40 size rudder in front

An alternate choice to reineforce the transom is to use aluminum angle instead. Mount it inside of the the tub. You can tap it if you too close to tub edge for nut or just use a nut. Put a couple of bolts thru the side of tub. You will never break the transom out again. I did this will all my riggers now. Works great.

20180421_161103.jpg

20180421_161041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a better system is to design the rudder mounting bracket bracket so that it can be bolted through the rear of the transom & through the side of the hull at the same time. Tapped, 1/8 " thick, aluminum plates, aluminum angles; beveled washers & 8-32 screws make up the remainder of the pieces.

Jim Allen

.625 bore barrel carburetor on QD 253.jpg

.625 bore barrel carburetor on QD 256.jpg

.625 bore barrel carburetor on QD 255.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. With the narrow transom of the JAE 90 what would be slick is an integrated strut and rudder bracket mount. Don't have a mill so that's out as an option. I'm planning on a back plate for both the strut and rudder bracket to keep from crushing the transom and will use carbon veil to re-inforce the transom/side joint as well as try stock in the bait box, and dowling the transom to the sides.

Bolt the rudder bracket to the right side of hull. That is what I do on 67/90/Twin JAE. Just a pc of flat stock drill the hole to match your rudder. Taper front part that bolts to hull so will not be just a Chunk of flat stock.JMO

Like Jim Allens post #8/3rd pic, just farther back to the leading edge of prop...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back