Prather Deep Vee

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OtisHelmke

Morning all,

A second question in a week, I must be getting busy around here. A local club member passed away last month

and his wife called and asked us to come and get all of the modeling stuff out of the house. There was

quite a lot of it and she just gave it away. It all ended up in my garage and I've redistributed a lot of it to

other club members. One thing I've held on to is a Prather Deep Vee kit. It came with the original sales

slip that is dated 1985 and it's never been finished. Looking at the instructions it appears to be an outboard

boat and I have the larger of the two versions. It also came with a Picco .45 inboard engine and all the parts

to complete it in that configuration. Is this possible? Can this boat be built into an inboard and still

run well? It's a glass hull and has a lot of the gear already installed on the transom for an inboard setup.

I am also wondering if there is a racing class run in the southeast for such a setup. I'm finishing up

some other builds and will be ready to get to work on this in a few weeks. I need to decide which way to build it.

Otis

I don't recall Prather making inboard and outboard versions of their deep vees, as I recall (it's been ~30 years) they had a 31", 40" and 45" deep vee for 21, 45 and 67/90 respectively. I had a Prather 40" mono and it ran very well with an OPS 45 inboard. I set it up for sub surface drive and as I recall I used an X450 or X452 prop.

sure can.. makes a nice running inboard..

Outdated.... ya.. still a bunch of fun to run.. O yea!

Grim

I think everything I have is outdated. Ok though, I have a lot of fun with it and that's the goal. I'll keep this one going in the

direction the first owner was going and see if I can turn it into a fun boat. Maybe it will race and maybe I'll just have fun in my

pond. I'll post some photos and a loose build thread here and if anyone sees a catastrophe in the making, please let me know.

Otis

Back