Head shims

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the clearance is good and u don't bang the piston on the head. U need to measure to find ou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Chris, the engine is a AA45 and without any shims the clearance is 8 thou and with the shim is 12 thou, so all is good.

Probably stating the obvious here Steven, but having done this myself on some engines, one thing which can be a problem, is the seal between the liner and the head button. I've never had an AA engine, but I would think the surface finish is probably better than most, so less likely to be a problem. If you do need something there to make the seal, you can use thin kitchen foil as a gasket. Stretch it over the bore, use the head button to cut the hole, and trim the outside to match the O/D of the head button......

I'll give it a go first without and see what happens, I have two head buttons and one give a clearance of 8 thou and the other is 12 thou, this head button will need to see a lathe..

You can check for head leaks by filling a clear glass with water. Invert the assembled engine with the plug in & put the head into the water covering the head /liner joint. Be careful not to put the engine in deep enough to get water in the exhaust !!

Turn the engine over, any leaks will show as bubbles, easily visible through the glass.

Ian

Back