SUGGESTIONS FOR SET UP SG21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek kustomz

I will be purchasing an sg21 this weekend and need some setup advice. I have an ops 21re blue head to put in it. From what I understand it's a pretty decent engine, not a mac or cmb by any means but should get the job done for now. I was just looking for a good base setup for it. I have 2 pipes both un-muffled. I have a macs and an ops. If any of you have any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Props, pipe length things like that. The hull is set up other than that.

Thanks,

Zach

hey Zach,

I run the new red head 21 CMB Vavola so not sure of your pipe question but props try a ABC H4 cupped 3.33 works great for me.

Regards,

Barry

Last edited by a moderator:
ZACH,

Start here and work forward.

set you boat up so the tub is level.. put it on a surface board and measure from the bottom of the tub to the board.. set your strut @ 1.5 degree's negative.

pipe, use the ops 3280 pipe and set at 8 - 8 1/8 length.. ( depending on the prop )

as for prop.. well depends on the motor.. h-7's worked well on the sg.. maybe a h-5.. and if the motor has any beans use a 1450 pitched.

let me know how it works out for you.

chris

Hey Chris,

I am pretty sure the boat itself is set, I am purchasing from Eric and he has it set up now. I will however take a look-see and tell you what the boat is at when I get it. As for the engine having any beans.... well i will have to let you know.

Zach

Zach,

Take your Nitro Pipe at 7 1/2" and try a H-4 @ 2.81 or 2.90" of cup, and hold on

to your transmitter. Less cup shorter pipe!!! If you need one, I have at least 10

H-4's that will ROCK. Just set it up like Eric Canto suggests and you will be running

very well. Those are both very good pipes for that motor. Remember what we talked

about the other day?

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Zach,

Take your pipe measurement: from plug centerline through the header to the widest part on your pipe.

If you cut your header to 5" then just measure from the water fitting 2 1/2". You are running 65% Nitro

from John Otto right? John has a great set up on this engine, and when you buy more fuel have him

look at your motor.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

All of this brilliant advice and nobody asked Zach how much nitro he plans to use.

Zach wrote: "I was just looking for a good base setup for it."

Someone on here offered direct advice to Frustration!

All of this brilliant advice and nobody asked Zach how much nitro he plans to use.
Zach wrote: "I was just looking for a good base setup for it."

Someone on here offered direct advice to Frustration!
Andy,

You are absolutely correct. I left out the most vital piece of in. I am running will be running 70% nitro in this engine. Unless someone suggest different.

Zach

Well this is where I am at. I bought the motor and it came with 2 pipes one is a Macs and the other I am not sure. the macs pipe measures apprx. 1.25 at the fat and the stinger is 5/16 id and the other pipe measures about 1.25 at the fat and the fat is about 1.25 inches long before it begins to taper back down. the stinger on it is also 5/16. I had the latter pipe on it and it would not come up on the pipe. I the tried a supposed ops 21 pipe at 5.5" from the plug and it wouldn't even launchThis pipe is much larger than the two I have. I then tried the macs pipe at 6" from the plug and it came on 1st try. Not hard but it came up. I then proceeded to shorten the pipe until it was at 5" from the plug and it seemed to loose power. I have not been to the pond since sunday. A few more details:

fuel- powermaster 60/18

prop- h4 3.33" cup 44.91 mm dia

clearance- .012 ( this is with no shims!!)

bob violet 3rd

AB carb

The boat just doesn't seem to be running. I think the pipe may still be long but I also wonder if its the right size??

Thanks

Zach

Zach,

If I was you I would measure following exhaust path. Measure from center glow plug and follow down center of header and center of pipe to the fattest part of the pipe (this I think is the more commonly used way of measurement, how you measure yourself is your style and is good for you). The only working example i have for you is my .12 I had alot of suggestions to goto a shorter length and the boat never ran very well, when I went a little longer the boat came on the pipe nice. Like has been said nitro % and prop and engine have alot to do with the measurement of the pipe maybe thats why I had to go longer? Hope ya get it figured out soon, maybe Andy Brown will make some suggestions, I would think he is one of the most knowledgeable people about this boat for sure.

Paul

Latest posts

Back