Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschigoda

Back in the '80's - I built and raced wood nitro boats, that were sealed and painted with epoxy paints (like HobbyPoxy and K&B paint), which were high nitro fuel proof, and are no longer produced.

I'm considering designing, building and racing a wood gas Thunderboat. Do I need to use epoxy paints (like KlassKote) to protect the wood hull and paint finish from gasoline? Are there other brush-on paints that will hold up as well to gasoline, but are easier, faster or cheaper?

I'm thinking that I don't want to invest in a respirator, paint booth, etc. I'm looking to use a foam brush to apply the paint, and do some wet sanding.

I'm sure that there are many ways to do this - but I'm wondering if gas boats require different paints than nitro boats?

Would it make sense to seal the hull first with West Systems epoxy glue? Or would that add too much weight to a boat this large? [48" x 24" hull with a stock Zenoah and a tuned pipe, per IMPBA Dist. 4 rules].

Thanks.

-Dave

There are a lot of epoxy paints that come in a rattle can available now too. I would seal the boat in west before painting to stop any rot if the paint gets chipped. Use an old credit card to scrap off ecess epoxy to keep the weight down and sand between coats and paint.

Brad

Hello Dave

I am scheduling a work shop get together with a half a dozen club guys. A shop tour, boat building discussion, got a gas scale (wood) 90% completed to inspect, general boat racing bs and lunch provided. Scheduling for Saturday March 3 10:00.

Your invited. This would be a good chance for you to get up to speed really quick with what's happening. I am a couple hours away so the guys will be doing some car pooling. Let me know. We can hook you up.

Doug

Hello Dave

I am scheduling a work shop get together with a half a dozen club guys. A shop tour, boat building discussion, got a gas scale (wood) 90% completed to inspect, general boat racing bs and lunch provided. Scheduling for Saturday March 3 10:00.

Your invited. This would be a good chance for you to get up to speed really quick with what's happening. I am a couple hours away so the guys will be doing some car pooling. Let me know. We can hook you up.

Doug

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the invite. That sounds like fun. I will need to see if I can reschedule a meeting that have have for that morning, and I will get back to you soon. Let's keep in touch.

-Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Dave

Doug
Great to see you doing this. I did some back in the day and I think it helped everyone. Great job!

Latest posts

Back