FREE Dragon F1 Tunnel plans

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

I have decided to upload some free plans for everyone to have a look at and maybe have a crack at building.

This one is my original 29" Dragon I built. It is a design I tweaked parts and used my own sizes based on the infamous Villain S1 design by Grimracer. I raced this design in the USA in 2007 at the World Tunnel Championships. It had a blue cowl and actually featured in a photo in RCBM in an article by Jerry Dunlap on the 07 WTC

This same hull is now raced by Dion Smith (with my daughters permission of course haha)

FB_IMG_1455829482866.jpg

(Photo Credit to Ray Coleman)

All I ask is for people to share their builds and ask as many questions as possible
default_smile.png
These are templates I used to stick to (only thing clagg glue is good for in model boats
default_tongue.png
) 4mm balsa for the template then cut out with an exacto knife. The keelson was 3mm balsa laminated to 1mm birch ply...but 3mm birch ply would be a better alternative.

People who build this can either use a Dumas 7.5 cowl (glass available from my buddy) or you can buy a Vision Cowl from Shawn Junker or a Dragon Cowl from myself...just check the radiobox and transom widths. I am sure many other cowlings will fit (ie TS3/TS2, ML Boatworks) but I cannot be sure.

Plans can be found here

PDF can be found here

EDIT: Added Photo Credit

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kris This is great that you do this. I'll have to see what I can do to get you copies of mine. I don't have access to CAD anymore and all my files are .dwg Autocad 2D when I was designing them on CAD.

I already made a print of the plans. In fact I made two prints one with the original dimensions and another one 10% bigger, for a modified .21 engine, which I plan to begin soon using the W.O.F. construction method. Any advice and comments are welcome.

on a larger, (faster version), keep the tunnel width the same. make the tunnel depth more like 24mm in the rear and with .5deg AoA (referencing bottom of sponsons to tunnel roof). this will also improve rough water capabilities.

please keep me posted on your build and add photos/questions here
default_smile.png

Thanks a lot for the information. According to this information and the enlarged plan the overall length of the hull will be 810 mm and overall width 303 mm (tunnel width153 mm). When I start building I will post photos and information.

Latest posts

Back