2015 fe rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy Phil and Tyler yes this boat is running very nice and predictable.Tppower 4060 custom motor(high kvs),6S Revolectric 60C,Andy Brown 1450(44mm 3,5 cup).,SF 240A with capbank...looking forward to have it ready. 4 our saw event in few days with no turn fin....unfortunetely we only have this short pond for tests near home and .probably we will have a Phantom drone filming the entire event..Thanks Gill

Hi Tyler

Since I'm making my own props SS no more prop failures but only for few models...takes lot of time as they are make via lost wax process by me and they are sent to a dental labor of a friend but not always they have good ones.I have some Andy's props used on my SGX .21 with reduced diam.(44-46mm) that work great tempered. with zero issues.The V series worked carefully ,ie, not thinning too much the blades are surviving but from time to time I have cracks near the hub so I guess this part of the game.Thanks Gill

Dental "stainless steel" is actually a chrome cobalt alloy. It originally was brittle, but the alloys used today are more ductile and very tough. Castability is an important factor as well. Traditional lost wax casting is being replaced by laser sintering. Wax patterns are being 3D printed as well. Both processes would be great for one off props. You would need deeper pockets than the typical model boater. I was quoted $80 for a casting if I furnished the wax pattern. 3D printed patterns run around the same cost if multiple props are printed at once. They don't need to be the same design. Also you would need a .stl file of the design you want. That can be direct from a CAD design or from a scan of an existing prop.

Lohring Miller

Dental "stainless steel" is actually a chrome cobalt alloy. It originally was brittle, but the alloys used today are more ductile and very tough. Castability is an important factor as well. Traditional lost wax casting is being replaced by laser sintering. Wax patterns are being 3D printed as well. Both processes would be great for one off props. You would need deeper pockets than the typical model boater. I was quoted $80 for a casting if I furnished the wax pattern. 3D printed patterns run around the same cost if multiple props are printed at once. They don't need to be the same design. Also you would need a .stl file of the design you want. That can be direct from a CAD design or from a scan of an existing prop.

Lohring Miller
Lohring, Thanks for the info I am not ready for CCA but I will buy if they become available to help bring the cost down. Mike

I'm not sure if you guys are aware of the work being done by Peter Duggan with Cobalt Chrome propellers but if you are interested here is link to his website,

cocrracing.com.au

Regards,

James

I borrowed one of the chrome cobalt props from Marty Shallenberger to set the gas scale two lap record with my boat driven by Kelly Gruol. Marty wouldn't loan it to me again at the NAMBA Nationals. His boat with that prop, driven by Al Waters, went on to win the class. Chrome cobalt can be finished thinner than bronze props, as Tyler knows. I was astonished years ago when we were testing a 1/4 scale design for a full sized hydro. The 40 cell hydro cracked and bent the blades on one of Andy Brown's props. I keep it on my desk as a reminder of the torque an electric motor has.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
Back