K&B 7.5 Outboard flex shaft durability

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie Lerew

I have two K&B 7.5 factory made Outboard flex shafts one is more stiffer and a different color then the other. Which one wears better?

Ron

Although it's been a couple of years since I ran 7.5 outboard, I don't think I could say that two flex cable with differing flexibility wear any different.

I would run a cable with greater flexibility if there was a choice. I did twist up some 7.5 cables, but never had one break.

JD

The older cables (3.5/7.5) had a lot of flexability to them. I think they stopped making that wind of cable for the market. The newer ones are much stiffer. I hold onto the older ones and use those on special occasions. Like nats. Regular racing I use the stiff ones. I think I only have 1 of each left.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually prefer the stiffer Hyperformance shafts. last longer than K&B. The fine wound soft shafts seem to become twisted like a "curly fry" in time. Once a shaft is rotating I do not think stiffness is a power robing issue. Prepping a coarse shaft by chucking in a hand drill and wet sanding 220-400 grit will spin easier with less friction.

Mic

I actually prefer the stiffer Hyperformance shafts. last longer than K&B. The fine wound soft shafts seem to become twisted like a "curly fry" in time. Once a shaft is rotating I do not think stiffness is a power robing issue. Prepping a coarse shaft by chucking in a hand drill and wet sanding 220-400 grit will spin easier with less friction.

Mic
X2 on the HyperPerformance shafts. They last better than anything else we have tried in the newer high performance 46 and 67 outboard engines.

Latest posts

Back