Charlotte, NC area?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There use to be a few guys that came up from Charlotte, but they kind of faded away like our club in Greensboro. Hard to believe that with the population of cities like Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh that a dozen people can't come together and put a club together. We tried hard in Greensboro, but we put on a D12 race for the last 3 yrs with 3 members, way too much work for a small group. I might do it again one day, but gotta have group big enough and willing to work for the good of the club.

mike b

Yeah, I could only imagine how difficult it would be to try hosting a hundred or more people for a Regional event, with only a handful of club members to handle it. I found a great pond at a small local park here in Clover, SC. Car access is the only thing I still have to check on. There's a dirt road/trail that goes right to the waters edge, but the gate to enter it is closed sometimes, so I'm not sure if it's legal to drive to it for parking. I've just been carrying my stuff and walking in a ways from the paved parking lot. My local hobby shop is all about the car scene (both on and off road courses behind the store), but they only sell a few rtr boats, and keep no boat parts in stock, so online forums and parts shopping is really the only practical option to get anything around here. I'm not quite ready to start racing yet, but would love to find other FE people close to home to learn from first hand and gain some helpful advice.

Got cha.....we have a pretty good group of guys in Charlotte running, you can check out our fb page (carolinas elite rc boating, CAROLINAS RC WATER BURNERS)

I'm in Raleigh (actually Cary) and looking for anyone who runs. Charlotte is a little far especially on a regular basis.

there was a group running in silk hope. Alamance rc boat club. have not heard form any of those guys for a while though. I have run at Jordan lake

Got cha.....we have a pretty good group of guys in Charlotte running, you can check out our fb page (carolinas elite rc boating, CAROLINAS RC WATER BURNERS)
Can you tell me exactly where the running site is in Charlotte? I live in Graham, which is about 1 hr 50 min away.

Jim Allen

Don Campbell which is part of this thread has told me that they run at a lake in Hillsborough which I am trying to get a day nailed down to go out there. I'm in Cary, kind of a middle ground from Graham and here.

Don Campbell which is part of this thread has told me that they run at a lake in Hillsborough which I am trying to get a day nailed down to go out there. I'm in Cary, kind of a middle ground from Graham and here.
Where is this lake located & how big is it? It will be a challenge to run an 80 MPH rigger in a lake that is 300 ft long, even if you are the only boat on the water. The launch area & what type of terrain surrounds the lake are important also.

Jim Allen

I'm not sure Jim, would be my first time out there if I go, Don would know more about it.
I don't understand why everyone appears to secretive about where the running sites are located. Is there something I'm unaware about??

JA

I've never met anybody else that runs boats, so I don't know what the ediquet is or isn't. I am new to rc boats and came on this site to find people in the area that drive them. As far as this lake that Don spoke of, I don't know if it's a private or public area or anything specific about it other then an address. I am in no position to invite someone to somewhere I've never been, with people I don't know. My guess is that he would be happy to have you out if he was willing to invite me (still no date set) but I would just message him or wait for him to chime in on this thread.

The lake they are using requires the driver's stand to be at one end. The lake is approximately 200+ ft at its widest point & is approximately 1200+ ft in length. Also, there are many homes on the west side of the lake. I'm investigating Randleman Lake which has a launching ramp for our gas powered retrieving boats. Randleman Lake has as much water to run in as Falls Lake. Both are reservoirs but both allow gas powered boats.

Jim Allen

This is a satellite view of the running site at Falls Lake State Recreation Area located at the end of Baptist Road. There is no swimming allowed, but this is not enforced because there are so many people breaking the posted rule. Therefore, during the summer months, we run on Mondays & Tuesdays only. Once the water temperature drops the other days in the week are available. The launch area is 500+ ft long & you can walk out into the water 80+ ft, with the water depth still at 3+ ft. Notice the paved parking area & the short distance to the water's edge. The useable straight away is 7,500+ ft long with the back side of the running site 5,600+ ft away.

Note: A good gas powered retrieving boat is allowed & required on a running site of this size!!

Jim Allen

001.jpg

002.jpg

Cool Jim, I'm into that. I don't have a retrieval boat but would help chip in for gas if someone does. My wife works late those 2 days most weeks but not always, any other afternoon would work better but I understand we can't drive if there are swimmers! Maybe Wednesday? That would be more likely for me to make it most weeks.

Back