Prop for Gas Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

What props are people running on Gas Hydros? Also, what speed are you running with these props?

Marty Davis

my Stryker hydro ran 61.3mph running like a turd with a 2716/2-15* rake only turning 15600-15700rpm.

Nobody has indicated what speed they are running with these props....
Marty Davis
Marty,

I think you are asking about a gas sport hydro (3 point).

Since you know how to work props go with a 1475 with lots of cup to add pitch.

1667 is another good choice.

For gas riggers the 2170 or 2167/3 is the way to go.

Good boating,

Andy

Marty,

I guess you need to define Gas Hydro? Gas Sport Hydro or Gas Riggers.

Either way ABC has some great choices.

Gas Rigger ABC 2816 = 75 MPH on a Warlok Gas Rigger

ABC 2718 Profiled = 80 MPH on a Warlok Gas Rigger

Gas Sport Hydro ABC SGH Propeller = 72 MPH on a Seaducer Gas Sport Hydro

Prop Shop of England 6719 = 65 to 68 MPH on a Seaducer Gas Sport Hydro

I don't do a ton of gas hydro propellers, but this is accurate feedback from a few of my gas customers.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

Wow Marty!! There's at least a dozen choices! What's a boater to do?!?! :)

Now, what's the best pipe for a gas hydro?

Nobody has indicated what speed they are running with these props....
Marty Davis
Marty,

I think you are asking about a gas sport hydro (3 point).

Since you know how to work props go with a 1475 with lots of cup to add pitch.

1667 is another good choice.

For gas riggers the 2170 or 2167/3 is the way to go.

Good boating,

Andy
Andy, Mark:

Sorry, I am talking about a gas outrigger hydro.

Yes, I would be interested in what is the best pipe for the lower end engines. Not interested in the high end $$$ engines.

Thanks,

Marty

Last edited by a moderator:
We've run mostly modified 2170 and 2175s on our Quickdraw powered Eagle as well as on our Quickdraw and CMB powered straight line boats. We haven't really tried any Zenoah powered riggers lately, but the V967 worked well on my old Ellison with a modified 260. The Prop Shop props probably are good choices for heat race Zenoahs, but we were looking for lots of pitch and the 2100 series seems to have the best combination with the limited rpm possible from the bigger engines. The Eagle can exceed 80 mph by the end of the staight though most heat racing is done in the mid 70s, our GX1 record is 109+mph, and our GX2 record is 103+mph.

It's hard to beat the old M&D two cone pipe. We've used it as our standard dyno pipe for years. There are many similar pipes with other features like the Quickdraw hot pipe, but the basic proportions of the M&D and its clones seem very good. We can get better power peaks with band style pipes like Midwest once sold, but the good power coupled with the great over rev makes the M&D pipe very user friendly. In recent tests we added nearly 1 hp to an engine by changing to a larger carb and replacing the stock pipe with the M&D. This was a much lower rpm engine than we usually test, so I was pleasantly surprised. We have also tested a shorter version of the pipe and it improves top end power but reduces peak power. I think this can be improved, but I haven't found the answer.

Lohring Miller

Marty,

I suspect you are working with a Roadrunner/Crapshooter style hull. In this case the 2170 may not be so good for heat racing.

Since it appears you are starting out with moderate power, I would still recommend the 1667. This really is a good prop for that application. With your work it should put you in the low 70's.

Hi all , My competition Hydro Design Rigger ( Pauls Osmond in Australia )

runs 75 MPH all day every day with a modified Zenoah using a Hanson pipe ( no belly) and Captain Chucks 6719/3A

launches easy and will accelerate from idle no problems

I have tried a few other pipes , but nothing else has given me the revs

Andrew

Back