WhipSAW 105

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Here is a progress photo of my latest attempt at smashing the 105mph Ave SAW barrier in the 4s Sport Hydro class.

It may look like a whiplash, but it definitely isn't one
default_biggrin.png
I do like to recognize where my boats inspiration has come from, hence the name.

My previous, fairly stock Whiplash 20 has been knocking on the door of 100mph and actually went 104ish one way in LA in 2014...had to settle with 95.xx mph average though.

This new boat is 40mm skinnier than my original boat, with a few changes underneath. It will have an all new power system and also will try a knife blade rudder setup.

20150306_190231.jpg

20160516_205513.jpg

20160516_205607.jpg

20160526_203739.jpg

Thanks Bryan!

So would I Charles:)

Hopefully not too long!

The advatages of the knife blade have to more than the disadvantage of not have an "easy" water pickup.

Maybe I should be making it WhipSAW 110
default_smile.png

Hi Kriss ,

for what are this two airbreakes at your old hull ? If you would ad a reverse wing like Mr.Buzzi from Italy does you need not to build a new hull . And i think i will see this breaks also at your new hull , but good so all other have also a chance to set a new record.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Christian,

There were a few reasons I wanted a new hull. Main one being that i never built the original to withstand 100mph crashes, so I have been lucky so far and do not want to push my luck
default_smile.png

The 'wings' you see were a quick fix at the last SAW event to add down force and stability to the boat, they definitely worked and allowed the boat to wheel stand and give me time to chop the throttle and bring the nose down. I think they were maybe 2/3rd or half the size than they were in this photo...not sure why i made them so big haha and they definitely stole 3-4mph off my speed!

Those pictures are awesome and something I will be playing with for sure! I love the aerodynamics side of things
default_smile.png

Hi Kris ,

i know .for the next hull ad this donforce plates as forward on the hull as you can ,best at the front tipp of the sponson or ad a small adjustable wing (from small modelhelicopter) between the sponsontips . And think of the use of a rectangular strut to get a hard surface scraping third step at the back that you can rise (deper position of the propeller) to lower the angle of attace of the whole hull and sponson .That redused lift a lot . And if possible lower the front tip of the wing section to limit the air coming in to lift the hull. That is what Andreas Lehner does with his offshore tunnel compare to the other his hull lift of later at higher speed.Maybe it help .

Happy Amps Christian

Last edited by a moderator:
Kris i have always wondered if that style of eing Christian has shown would work on an out board... interested to discuss your testing.

Hi Kris ,

i know .for the next hull ad this donforce plates as forward on the hull as you can ,best at the front tipp of the sponson or ad a small adjustable wing (from small modelhelicopter) between the sponsontips . And think of the use of a rectangular strut to get a hard surface scraping third step at the back that you can rise (deper position of the propeller) to lower the angle of attace of the whole hull and sponson .That redused lift a lot . And if possible lower the front tip of the wing section to limit the air coming in to lift the hull. That is what Andreas Lehner does with his offshore tunnel compare to the other his hull lift of later at higher speed.Maybe it help .

Happy Amps Christian
I will definately be playing with this idea Christian. It is a much more technical way rather than just adding winglets like I have done.

After talking a lot with my boss recently who has alot of knowledge in the aerodynamics area, a few things i had in my head were going to go the wrong way from what I wanted to achieve. Now I think I have secured some new longer water to test on I should be able to get cracking with some better numbers
default_smile.png

Time will tell. I will get back onto this project in a week after I have finished prepping my new boats (and other peoples) for a race.

Kris i have always wondered if that style of eing Christian has shown would work on an out board... interested to discuss your testing.
On my outboard, I am confident the new design works really well and wont need any extra wings to help out. but maybe when I am approaching 90MPH things might change
default_wink.png

Congrats Kris,

Now stop being a sissy and hold the trigger for the entire pass.

If your boat comes back in one piece you were not trying hard enough.
default_biggrin.png

Now you can hit the copy button and make spares.

Tyler

Back