Tunnel Hull Innovations?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

The holidays are here, you’re sitting at home waiting to go out to the lake and come on IW to see if there is anything new. We all do, clamoring for anything to do with boat racing, especially tunnels.

So here is the question that you didn’t even know you wanted the answer to.

There has been a little innovation since the inception of the Dumas Hot shot from years ago.

Forks, stumble pads, weight distribution, strakes, tunnel depth and dead rise angle are some of the changes that have been made. Some designers have played around with length and width as well.

What do we as tunnel hull guys see as future innovations that will be standard on our hulls?

I for one believe that side dams will be more prevalent than they are now. There are several boats that have them like the PTI hulls or they can be easily added. The side dams appear to help cornering and stabilize in the straight aways.

What do you call a "side dam"? Do you mean the vertical fin in the picklefork?

Grimacer did it first I believe :)

Maybe I've been "Thinking Inside the Box" in regards to Tunnel Hull Innovations, but other than "tweaking" the items mentioned in the first post I don't see any radical changes in tunnel boat designs. However, I'm the same guy who didn't think Trump had a snowball's chance in hell to be elected President. So much for being insightful.

Merry Christmas,

Dunny

What do you call a "side dam"? Do you mean the vertical fin in the picklefork?

Grimacer did it first I believe :)
Hey Kris,

Yes, the run the length of the picklefork on both sides.

Hi Jerry,

I have seen several racers start using wings on the front of their cats, do you see them ever being incorporated into a tunnel or by definition would that change the design enough where it no longer is considered a tunnel hull.

The full size F-1 boats on the other side of the pond is where to look for innovation and change -
default_wink.png

14azi9y.jpg

I think there's a lot to be tried. Take a look at the first two articles in my high speed boat design in the last issues of the NAMBA Propwash. The secret with any fast boat is getting as much out of the water as you can while maintaining stability.

Lohring Miller

The full size F-1 boats on the other side of the pond is where to look for innovation and change -
default_wink.png

14azi9y.jpg
Maybe the use composite materials but not much change in actual design, Most of the hulls are splashed DACS with there own capsule design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what most of you are seeing with the side dams on full scale tunnels are strengthening ribs. The boats are composite and when you look at this the rip is the full length from the tip to the point the deck meets the sponson.

Do they play a aerodynamic factor as well.. maybe a small amount.. but not in the straight-a-ways as one would think. (proven)

Grim

very good.. you can see about a 20deg angle on the side cowl line.. very nice. I suspect we will see more of that in the future.

Grim

One thing Ive been curious to try is a setup on some of the newer full scale hulls, where they placed holes beginning at CG on the upper deck, and slanting towards the rear ride pads of the bottom of the hull, lifting the rear of the boat. That would get you out of the water while maintaining stability...

Andy posted the pics awhile back

It varies Mark, In europe more inboard, Here more outboard.

Edit:

Thats the conclusion that I draw anyhow....

Gene

One thing Ive been curious to try is a setup on some of the newer full scale hulls, where they placed holes beginning at CG on the upper deck, and slanting towards the rear ride pads of the bottom of the hull, lifting the rear of the boat. That would get you out of the water while maintaining stability...

Andy posted the pics awhile back
Or air trapped sponsons to do the same thing.

Lohring Miller

Geraghty 3.5 tunnel1.JPG

Latest posts

Back