IMPBA legal outboards

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kensill

I am in the process of making a better definition of what constitutes an outboard motor (complete ) for racing in IMPBA. I know there are several "one off" examples in existence, and I would like to see photos of as many of these as possible. My intent is to "grandfather" any existing designs that have competed in IMPBA heat racing or record trials.

I would like to see nitro, fast electric and gasoline outboard. Please send pics to

[email protected]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I am in the process of making a better definition of what constitutes an outboard motor (complete ) for racing in IMPBA. I know there are several "one off" examples in existence, and I would like to see photos of as many of these as possible. My intent is to "grandfather" any existing designs that have competed in IMPBA heat racing or record trials.

I would like to see nitro, fast electric and gasoline outboard. Please send pics to

[email protected]

Sooo , asking to ask- " Grandfathered in " does that mean if someone used or copied a grandfathered in system - would it NOT be legal or basing it off an existing unit or not ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty, if that passes then Fred Howe is out of business. Or is the Lawless going to be "grandfathered' in? Then the powerheads will only be K&B or O.S.

102 years and they're still hanging off the back of the boat ....enough said.
Interesting....never seen one of those on an RC boat?

On the grandfathered thing...if you let ones run that were built prior to rule change dont you have to let any that look the same and are made today run???

Marty, you are thinking of "sport" class. Believe this thread is to define what an outboard is or has been. This includes those "1" off's for the mod class.

oh doppy me
default_rolleyes.gif

i see the LIGHT now

backing out now

an watching

There's more but I can't find pictures ,I also have ottos ,and my gas boat , I will try to post ottos one , also iam building a new Thor for my 1.0 cmb turntable when it's finished I'll post pictures.

102 years and they're still hanging off the back of the boat ....enough said.
On the grandfathered thing...if you let ones run that were built prior to rule change dont you have to let any that look the same and are made today run???
I'm guessing Bob and Ron think I'm looking for a fight or something and have chosen to ignore my completely legitimate question , hence the reason you asked as well Kris.

Not trying to be a prick or anything, but doesn't how the existing written rules read, dictate whats legal or not ??? - not what the 2 O/B Directors believe should be right or wrong ???

Again , I'm just asking here.

Andy

Guess I'll toss my 2 cents in. First off, I congratulate those that took the rules as written to think outside the box. My opinion is that the "turnstyle" are not true outboards. Show me a version in full size and I'll change my mind. NAMBA rules are better written, but not not enough in my opinion. An outboard hangs off a transom. Maybe the rules do need to be updated.

My intent is to define an outboard something like this. "An outboard motor (nitro, fast electric or gas)"shall be defined by the following criteria

1, it shall be a self contained power unit, and must be removable as a complete unit.

2, it shall mount externally to a nearly vertical transom.

3, it shall use a metal propeller that drives the boat by direct contact with the water, no air propulsion.

4, it shall be steerable as a unit for outboard tunnels, but may be locked in place, for outboard hydros, if the hydro is steered by a separate water rudder.

5. The intent of these rules is to make the outboard resemble the full size outboards used in racing.

6, nitro engine classes shall consist of A, B, C, D, E and F (modified) B sport (stock apearing) SST 45 (modified but no tuned pipe.

7, fast electric (to be determined)

8, gas (to be determined )

9, grandfathered outboards, outboards currently being raced in IMPBA that do not fit the new rules, will be grandfathered as needed. Not all will be allowed.

This is just a rough draft. Please feel free to comment. If you don't currently run one of the "questionable outboard", don't ask to get one grandfathered.

Back