New Gas thunderboat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenOlson

I built this thunderboat for Jim Hoadley. It is resin infused carbon fiber. The molds were originally made to do Gas scale hulls but also fit the thunderboat class. The hull weighs in at just over 8 lbs with cowl.

55 in long x 24 in wide. Jim wanted something a little different on this since it is going to be strictly a thunderboat. He picked out a green fiberglass/carbon combo for the top deck. Little did I know how much of a pain this material would be, but it came out ok and he is happy with it. Should be up and running soon, look out! You can't miss it.

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

F-1822-carbon-fiber-lime-green-dyed-fiberglass-hybrid.jpg

That looks awesome!

What makes the colored glass/carbon fabric such a pain to use? I've thought about using it for making engine cowls for outriggers.

That looks awesome!

What makes the colored glass/carbon fabric such a pain to use? I've thought about using it for making engine cowls for outriggers.
Paul,

It's 12.5oz cloth. The fiberglass is very stiff in that direction but the carbon is really flexible. Very hard to go around corners and get it to stay in place. When you cut it, the green just falls out all over the place. You can tape the seams but if you have a seam that is inside then..... you get unraveling material.

Back