Gas Hulls that Fit the Nitro/FE IMPBA Specs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longballlumber

Hi Guys,

I am working to help out a friend that wants to power a GAS sized hull with a FE set up (10S)... I am not here to start a pissing match about gas vs. rules. What gas sport hydro hulls fit within the IMPBA nitro/FE hull rules? Specifically, I am thinking the rules listed below:

f. The forward riding surfaces will be located within 50 and 60 percent forward of the transom for
the overall hull length and measured at a 90 degree perpendicular to the hull centre line.

g. Picklefork hulls shall not have open areas ahead of the forward riding surfaces totaling more than
25% of the total hull length. No other hull vent(s) are allowed.

h. The width of the bottom of the transom must be 65% or more of the width between the forward
riding surfaces. On a shovelnose hull that has a tapered transom bottom the 65% rule will apply
to the hull bottom at a point three a one half inches forward of the transom.

I should also state he is looking for a glass and/or carbon layup. He's not interested in a wood kit. Does the Whiplash GV work?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the gas Sport Hydros are long enough for the FE T class (10S). Length for that class is 48" to 60" Just about all the gas Sport Hydros would fit in the FE S class (8S) 40" to 50"

None of the gas Sport Hydros are long enough for the FE T class (10S). Length for that class is 48" to 60" Just about all the gas Sport Hydros would fit in the FE S class (8S) 40" to 50"
Thanks for the Reply Chris,

I forgot about the length restrictions...

For discussion purposes lets assume he chooses to run 8S is there any GAS Sport hydro hull that fits in the Nitro/FE transom rule?

I believe the one you mentioned, the Whip G/V would fit in the FE class with 8S. Not totally sure without measureing it but it does have the wider transom compared to the Backlash.

Tyler Garrard built an electric sport hydro from a Hyperformance thunderboat hull. See below on the left. Brian Buaas in the center won the class with an 8S 1/8 scale hydro. Randy Naylor was third with another 1/8 scale hull.

Lohring Miller

T_Sport_Hydro 2012 Nationals.jpg

Tyler Garrard built an electric sport hydro from a Hyperformance thunderboat hull. See below on the left. Brian Buaas in the center won the class with an 8S 1/8 scale hydro. Randy Naylor was third with another 1/8 scale hull.

Lohring Miller
Thanks Lohring,

Tyler and I were exchanging messages on the FE board. He reminded me about Brian laying up 1/8 hulls. That might be our best option at this point.

Latest posts

Back