Prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOM DRIVER

What prop should I use to correct torque steering on a 45 Microburst Mono with a 82 K&B? Strut is off-set.

Thanks Tom

A 45 inch mono? I have used the octrua x560 on my 67 powered microburst. What have you tried? Important to make the prop sharp and thin to help prop walk. Maybe shim the strut on one side.

that is a small prop for a 80 even if it is a k&b ,,,I used 55x69/3 with a 67mono hull handled well with it but it want more...

55x69/3 is a good .40 size engine prop. Send it to me and I will send you an 82 engine size prop in return if you don't have a larger prop.

I have used 1455 three blades cupped up to 3.30 on .80 size monos and had really good results as well with the x462 two blade.

I don't believe the prop is the problem though. Got a picture of the transom?

I had run Kb 82 with AC mono before better X457/3 good stable and heat racing or if you want fast use X560

John,

Thanks for your offer to trade props, but I use that same prop on Cindy's Hamm's Bear scale.

Here's a pic of the back of the 80 mono.

TomCIMG8586.JPG

I never had much luck with turn fins on my 20 mono, did all kinda weird chit...
default_unsure.png

John,

Thanks for your offer to trade props, but I use that same prop on Cindy's Hamm's Bear scale.

Here's a pic of the back of the 80 mono.

Tom
attachicon.gif
CIMG8586.JPG
Tom,

By the photo it looks like the strut is mounted to the keft of the center of the keel. This will cause violent chine walk and boat turning to the right. If I am seeing the photo correctly this is definately the propblem. Move the strut to 1/8th of an inch to the right of centerline and the problem will go away. I guarantee it!

John

Tom,

Also, shimming the strut to steer left puts the prop to left of centerline which makes the problem worse. If you mount to the right of centerline the prop will lift the right side of the boat and counter the torque. I have gone as much as a quarter inch from center of prop to center of keel. Having the prop left of centerline helps torque to roll the boat right. Not good. Just want to mention the location of the prop is the key, not shimming the strut. With the prop to right of center the strut can be set straight off the transom with no shims needed.

John

John

I bought the boat as is. Not being a mono man,I had no idea how to correct the problem.

Thanks much for your help

Tom

Glad to be of help Tom. Yea, the mono hulls are quite different. I used to twist the strut in the 1980s and a lot of other people did too. We finally figured out we were making the problem worse because the prop lifts the hull as well as pushes it forward. I too started with hydros and what applies to them does not always apply to the mono. Let us know the results of moving the strut to the right. A lot of boats are given up on and sold because they don't work well and most of the time the boat is not the fault. It is the setup.

John

I have and old 40 size vee that would torque roll and lean excessively into the turn to a point that it was riding on its freeboard. I PM'ed John for his advice. I followed his suggestions and run the strut straight out but off set to the right 1/8". That completely cured the bad habit.

kez

John,

Thanks for your input - corrected the strut as you suggested and boat ran dead-straight today. Now looking forward to running it in competition - starting with the Nats in Evansville.

Tom

Latest posts

Back