New FREE Boat Plan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

gallery_1_1_43964.png

NEW FREE PLAN!

FireFighter Baby Rigger .07-.09

I drew this Baby Rigger plan from being inspired from seeing another .09 russian engine rigger on RCU. This is a design that exists only on in CAD. It has never been tested but I believe it will be excellent. I hope to some day build one.

To download go to the FireFighter Boats free plans page: http://new.intlwaters.com/FreePlans/firefighterboats.htm

:) Thanks Tom.... Maybe winter wont be so bleak after all..... Mike

Oh yea I should add what engines I have found that should work:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXMYK5&P=7 trinity pull start 69.99

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXMYK6&P=7 modified trinity pull start 123.99

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXNAE6&P=7 ofna pull start slide carb 139.99

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXNAE5&P=7 ofna slide carb 154.99

a sirio .09 but I don't know where to get it.

AP 09 or norvel .074 possibly?

i'd go for the $69 trinity myself

Well after much searching I got my engine. It is a SH engine .07 I got it from: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=38_987 The looks are just like the Trinity engine but the specs show it as significantly bigger. Looks Nice!

Here is a picture to show the size of the babby rigger engine. I took this picture with the other air cooled engines I have. First is the Babby Rigger engine the SH .07. Next you have a Sirio .15 and last a Orion .26. It's really a neat little engine. Looks very well made. The bad part is the .12 size collet/flywheel wont work. The shaft size is smaller. I have to figure someting out. Might need to be custom.

gallery_1_22_34061.jpg

gallery_1_22_78598.jpg

Last edited:
Is the shaft smaller than 5mm? If its too short you can take the flywheel to a machine shop have some of the center taken out so you can attach the coupler(almost like a counter sink but ya need the flat bottom). You can put the flywheel on backwards too if the larger diameter is gong to hit the carb.

Paul

not sure if this helps at all?

Tom doesnt ever drop the ball on anything I have ever seen
default_wink.png

Im sure there is a reasonable explanation , considering THINGS CHANGE - after 6 years - maybe its time for a micro motor revisit
default_rolleyes.gif

Keep us posted on your progress .............

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes would like to see Tom's project pan out with the SH .07, should be a good engine.

Here is my effort with the Picco .05

Truth be told ive been spending as much time with my kids as i can. I have not made any progress with this project. Ill revisit it soon. Both kids in highschool now so soon they wont want to do stuff with dad.

I never figured out the flywheel and coupler.

Years ago i was one of the pioneers for .12 hydros. I could easily see myself getting in to these also. Maybe tiny electric hydros also.

Im happy to see others making tiny hydros.

With ponds getting harder to get approved/permission i could see smaller ponds and hydros with smaller courses being a cool thing.

I used a aluminum pully wheel and brass coupler. There is no collet both the Picco and .07 engine

are 4mm threaded shafts. I used a thrust plate from one of my .07's tapped the flywheel for 4mm

with it threaded on and and the coupler threaded on no issues with belt starting. You can buy nice

well made toothed belts proportional in size for the smaller engines. I sourced mine from the RC

car side of things many different widths and dia. to choose from mine is 3mm wide and kevelar

reinforced.

Happy Holidays all, Tom here are two other .05 size riggers in action

Dr. Sam and Max both went with the Picco down fall is the shafts are

brittle and tend to break. I want to try the .07 I have replaced the Picco

with a CY .06 it is a .069 actually meant to compete with the .07. Both

engines do not have the over bored cranks so they are strong enough.

I have tested both engines with air props and the .07 have flown many

flights with a plane.

Published on Sep 24, 2015
Saint-Savinien SAW 20/09/2015.
Picco P-0 / .0519 Cu. In. /.85cc
18.6in from sponson tip to transom.

33k + average
Best 36,014 rpm
on the dock static best rev. 44.7k

Smallest of the riggers very light weight all balsa

build with a thin layer of open weave carbon over the

skin of the tub and on the inside. The same thin stuff

the hand launch glider guys use. 360g ready to run.

French build thread link will have to use google translator:

http://www.offshore-rc.com/forum/index.php?/topic/33252-picco-p-zero-saw/

Thus far these are the only documented 1/2A riggers on Youtube

Tom offerd to sell me the engine to see what I can do with it thus far I have flared out

the venturi intake, cut down the cooling fins and made a custom 16.3g steel

flywheel and taped for 4mm threads out of a Jeff Wohlt's coupler for .062 wire drive.

One of Johns custom SS stainless steel tanks with my dimensions to shoe horn

up front.

I have drawn up a lanky design very narrow allowing the use of the 3 bolt aluminum mounting

plate under the tub. The car engine crank case has cast in threaded footings. I will use

a rubber isolation pad between the engine and tub floor. Profi tuned pipe perfect size for

this 1.14cc engine. Should unload to about 33k on the water. I have one of these engines

in a RC plane with the same pipe making good power. This is a good jump in power over

my current Picco .85cc project shown in the previous video.

IMAG4701.jpg

IMAG4624xd.jpg

IMAG4678.jpg

Some progress:

364.7g thus far, this being the bulk of the all the weight

leaving the sponsons and paint should rap up around

14.5 oz less fuel. Would make for a nice 1/4A SAWS

rigger. Tub is 24in from transom able to handle a bit

of rough water. Front carbon boom is 19.75in. I expect

1/2in ride pads. Will see as the build raps up. 1.66in

wide at the rear boom / 1.14in at the transom / .95in at

the nose very skinny for a 2ft. all ply tub.

IMAG4780.jpg

IMAG4789.jpg

Truth be told ive been spending as much time with my kids as i can. I have not made any progress with this project. Ill revisit it soon. Both kids in highschool now so soon they wont want to do stuff with dad.

I never figured out the flywheel and coupler.

Years ago i was one of the pioneers for .12 hydros. I could easily see myself getting in to these also. Maybe tiny electric hydros also.

Im happy to see others making tiny hydros.
So Mic showed me a tiny round nose hydro that was super KOOL at Brandon this weekend- F/E power and OSE hardware .....

Maybe he will see this and post a pic- I failed to get one. Basically an outboard kneeler- was very kool.

Thank you Paul,

The SH- .07 engines can still be sourced new on a handful of sites

and on ebay. I recall you originally worked on a small rigger too, back

when Tom was talking about it on RCG if I recall correctly. It's how I

found this thread. I had been flying with converted SH .07 and wanted

to see what it can do with a rigger. Looking for a flat water day to tune

up the engine and find what props work.

Latest posts

Back