Micro Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
Hi Everyone,

I am not giving up, I want to build boats and I plan on competing and eventually beating you all lol :) But until that time I need lotsa help(mental mainly........lol) but seriously, Todays problems are I am trying to do a bench start of the engine I have and I cant get it to pop over. I got glow,fuel to carb,fuel to cylinder but ya know i can some times see little air bubbles in the fuel line and they don't move unless I hold my finger over the carb? Ohh yeah i need a real starter I think, I am using a cordless drill for a belt starter now and it just dont work well. I also am trying to seal my first tub ...........lol(preschooler with finger paints) its sealed ya but its not some art work like alot I see here. By Sunday I plan on having the boat back together enough to get a wait on it and see if it will even come close to floating. I think I gonna go with the futaba 3PM synthesized I think , I am also gonna try micro servos with metal gears futaba makes a few. Geeeez I hope this little thing will float lol Ive spent alot of time trying to do a good job with it and for it to sink would kill me :) If anyone could Please help me in my quest I would be for ever in your debt :) these forums are what inspired me to try and build a boat, until July this year I never ran a boat or owned anything nitro ( just some cheapy RTR EP planes and helicopter and I don't fly the Helli, in my case its a money pit every inch of attempted flight is a $1-$50 in repairs)

Thank You In Advance,

Paul

Tub length from transom to tip of balsa nose 16 1/2 (nose is 3/4) tub width 1 15/16 inside 2 3/16 outside, radio boxes is 15/16 deep and 6 1/2 long. sponson tubes where cut at 12 inches and then epoxied in and cut in half with 5/16 more on the leftside. Hardware is hughey I called and talked with Ed explained what I have and am using what he sent me. Sorry I forgot to tell ya about this little rigger. These are some pics of what I have so far please be honest with me ya wont hurt my feelings :) I know I know its gonna sink if it stops moving, in my case i need to get it to move before i can worry about it stoping :)

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...=si&img=111

Oh and have fun doing what you do!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Paul, you found our secret hiding place! :D

OK, now for the obvious questions. Do you have the fuel system pressurized? Are the carb settings close ot where the manufacturer says they should be? If you're trying to fire it up outdoors in this cold weather, you may have to richen the needle a ways to get it to fire. The carb should only be just cracked open about 1/16".

Hey Paul, you found our secret hiding place! :D OK, now for the obvious questions. Do you have the fuel system pressurized? Are the carb settings close ot where the manufacturer says they should be? If you're trying to fire it up outdoors in this cold weather, you may have to richen the needle a ways to get it to fire. The carb should only be just cracked open about 1/16".
Yes I think it is pressurized, I have the tank hooked to the tuned pipe if thats what you mean? Manufacture says the high speed is suppose to be set at 2 turns out and they say nothing about the low. I am trying to start the engine in the heated garage 65°. The carb is open 1/32"-3/32" or real close to 1/16". One of the guys here just told to try and set the low a hair more than 1 1/2, I have had it at 2 (thats where he says he runs his OS car engines).

Thanks Paul

Today, at least this morning I am changing two oxygen sensors and plugs and wires on the wifes car, she needs to pass emissions :)

it's not unusual to put your finger over the carb for a couple seconds to get it started...

check you fuel lines for pinholes? fuel tank for leaks?

Are you spinning the motor in the correct direction? Easy mistake to make. Looking at the flywheel end motor should spin anti clockwise. Just a thought.

did u try the settings i sent you.the low end was to rich.for u useing 20% nitro.i have same motor in my r/c 10 gt.i hope you are useing car fuel not boat fuel the motor isnt water cooled.

Ummmm car fuel is different ? I will get some car fuel if you think that will make the difference. Yes I am turning counter clockwise. If the fuel makes a difference i will get new fuel and try with the low needle set correctly. Thank You Very Much :)

Paul

I did ask my LHS if running 20% blue thunder would work in a OS CV-R.12 he said that would work fine. I did tell him I was gonna change to blue thunder 30% after break in. He said to break in on the 30%, does this sound correct? If I need Car fuel what type would be the best to get, I will be going to 30%? I cant get any higher nitro content locally.

I would go with the carb settings the engine came with to start. You should see a mist of fuel coming from the glow plug hole. Not big splats of fuel, just misty, to heavy mist.

With the plug out, and carb wide open, place your finger over the carb and tuen the engine over till lots of fuel sprays out. Then tilt the boat so extra fuel runs out of the pipe, pinch or disconnect the fuel line, carb at idle, and turn over till just the mist sprays out of the plug hole. Place the plug in the engine, apply ignitor and spin it. Should start right up.

go with 30% blue thunder it is the best fuel for cars.the low needle setting in the manual are to rich.i found out myself.

Is there such a thing as fuel getting old , this thing gets fuel to the glow but no pop even if I had an air leak I would get the engine to start wouldnt I? What fuel would anyone here recommend( this is a car engine). The fuel I am using is about 4 months old, atleast ive had it that long. I am really getting a little flustered from this thing.

Please Help Paul

Is there such a thing as fuel getting old , this thing gets fuel to the glow but no pop even if I had an air leak I would get the engine to start wouldnt I? What fuel would anyone here recommend( this is a car engine). The fuel I am using is about 4 months old, atleast ive had it that long. I am really getting a little flustered from this thing.

Please Help Paul
Your sure you have a good hot plug?

Well if I hold the plug it glows bright red/orange and when i put it in i can hear it sizzle :)

Paul

My LHS told me nitro sitting in the garage on concrete will make it go bad is this true?

Paul

Thank You Everyone,

Update on my rigger, I went to LHS got a new starter/battery for starter/ charger for battery/ odonnels 30% and engine fired up :) I think the problem was a combination of fuel I have had sitting on the concrete garage floor being bad, and glow igniter not keeping a glow( if the igniter would lean to a side it would lose glow, if I held it down straight boom it started). Also a cordless drill is pretty sucky for a starter, I never tried a real belt starter and that is really a sweet thing :)

Thanks Again for all the Help Everyone :)

Paul

Ohhhhhhhh I forgot to mention , now that the engine prob is somewhat worked out I will Have a whole new batch of problems (besides the obvious ones) :)

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Paul

Well good morning all I started to do some priming of the sponsons, geez do they look a little rough. Is there anyway to make them look really nice? The rough isnt like sand paper lines it like where I missed sanding a little. I was going to try sanding after primer dries and recoating with primer. If there is a better way please let me know, Thanks in advance :)

Paul

Well good morning all I started to do some priming of the sponsons, geez do they look a little rough. Is there anyway to make them look really nice? The rough isnt like sand paper lines it like where I missed sanding a little. I was going to try sanding after primer dries and recoating with primer. If there is a better way please let me know, Thanks in advance :)

Paul
step 1 primer

step 2 let dry

step 3 wet sand

step 4 go to step 1

i hate to paint!

Just wanted to say thanks Tom, that wet sanding stuff is really nice :)

Paul

I am wet sanding with 400 I hope thats ok, it looks good to me ?

Latest posts

Back