JAE 21 Radio box

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Elder

I seem to have chronic issues keeping water out of the radio box. It leaks in around the tape. Today, the tape lifted at the end under the pipe and the whole radio box flooded and cut short the trip to the pond. I clean the lid and sides with alcohol and have used clear hockey tape as well as the thin 3m tape but I seem to continue to have issues keeping the tape down enough to keep the water out.

What do you do?

I seem to have chronic issues keeping water out of the radio box. It leaks in around the tape. Today, the tape lifted at the end under the pipe and the whole radio box flooded and cut short the trip to the pond. I clean the lid and sides with alcohol and have used clear hockey tape as well as the thin 3m tape but I seem to continue to have issues keeping the tape down enough to keep the water out.

What do you do?
Maybe the pipe is too close and the tape is getting to hot.

I have found that if I sand around the box and lid with 300 to 500 and clean very well And use Zippkits tape it holds pretty well.

You don't have to screw up your paint job just do a little band around the lid and the tub

Loosen all tramson bolts add silicone to all outside screws were they meet the drilled holes,retighen wipe away excess problem solved

Last edited by a moderator:
3m tape from zippkits, never had a problem, i've run my boat for over 2 years and never had an incident to date. just follow what mike walker said and all will be good

And like Neil said, make sure water is not coming through the transom hardware as well. A little silicone on the threads fixes that.

For the tape to not adhere to the wood something weird is going on. Typically oil in the wood, but that assumes you did not have enough sealant on there to begin with.

Also, where you can, have the tape go 90 degrees over the edge of the tub. This adds some strength to keep the lid on in the event of a crash or flip.

Yup if oil has inpregnated the wood, she's done. ,between the engine bay & the radio box. If you still feel you want the hull cut and remove the top of the tub and add new wood. The wood will have dark streaks if if inpregnanted

I think the dark streaks are from water wicking in....

Make sure everything is ckean and dry... everything that bolts into the radio box should be siliconed.... strut rudder antenna on/off switch, make sure all push rod seals are good also. .. if water line runs thru make sure its all good also. When you think its good take the cap of you anntena on the boat and gently blow into the radio box ... if you hold the (radio box part) of the tub underwater doing this if you have a leak you should find it. I assume your boat is more than just epoxy sealed.... I have found that sometimes epoxy seals are sorta waxy and my tape don't like it

Surefire way to find leaks! Tape radiobox, attach fuel tubing to antenna tube, submerge back of boat completely under water. Blow through fuel tubing!

You will be amazed at where leaks are. Even will show bad taping job!

Thanks for the comments. No fuel in the wood. Very well sealed under epoxy. No leaks from other fittings/seams. End of the pipe is a good inch or two above the area with the tape. Will try the sandpaper and different tape.

In a effort to reduce weight. Paint is heavy, you see clear coat ,but it came at a cost. Oil has darkened the grains on this radio box

If you spray on automotive clear coat (2 part), the wood won't darken, the tape won't come off and UV will not affect the epoxy.

I use PPG Shop Line over anything. I am convinced that it will harden over a layer of grease. I love the stuff...

Joe

If you spray on automotive clear coat (2 part), the wood won't darken, the tape won't come off and UV will not affect the epoxy.

I use PPG Shop Line over anything. I am convinced that it will harden over a layer of grease. I love the stuff...

Joe
Joe,

You have a PM

Thanks

Latest posts

Back