Atlantic Harbor tug

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinslip

Hi guys...I just bought a new Atlantic Harbor tug.......................http://aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub59-main.html........................................and was going to use it as a rescue boat for my gas scale T6. The plan was to rig up some sort of floating hook with a pool noodle and back up to the hydro so the hook catches the front canard then just tow the larger boat to shore. However the Tug doesn't seem to have much of a reverse on it...if any at all. Nowhere near enough to back up to the larger boat. The Tug is an electric boat. Is there a way to modify, adjust or change something to improve the reverse function on this boat?

Thanks Norm

these boats a large,,,,and heavy....im not sure there is much you can do to increase reverse speed...does the motor run just as fast as the foward,,,when in reverse?? possible prop change might help...???

sorry i dont know anything about these tugs,,,,but just tryin to cover a couple easy bases...

alden

Thanks for the reply. The prop doesn't turn fast enough in reverse to back the boat up with any speed. If I flip the throttle direction switch on the transmitter, the same thing happens...barely any speed in reverse. I wonder if a different speed controller would give it more juice in reverse?? thanks Norm

that there is a good idea....possibly its resisted through the esc... well it would have to be...whar if instead of of backing up to hook ur scale,,,you push it in,,,some kind of cradle to catch the wing uprights?? another option is tie fishing line on the tug,,,then circle the scale serveral times,,,then reel them both in with the line....

ac

This is how we use the tug no reverse necessary, but it does help.

http://www.paradigmsnapshots.com/Other/Lake-Ella-Boats/21051085_Dgh7Fn/#!i=1673879136&k=srr7cM3

i-srr7cM3-S.jpg

No reverse on the one my buddy just got. They would be hard to tip over but very unstable in stock form, they bounce around like a cork in semi ruff water. If you have seen my Retrieval boat video you will know what I am talking about.

Heck I will just post it. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought one for rescue also. I switched the electronics to a traxxas XL-5 (with reverse) added a deans connecter, 2s lipo, and 550 motor. Awsome setup now.

I bought one for the wife a few years ago, never been wet. I did test the electronics, all seem to work fine. It gets wet this summer, hope she doesn't crash it into anything

We took the tug to the fun run in Excelsior Springs MO in June. What I saw is the boat's ESC is set for a slow reverse and is set that way for a reason. For the boat to go backwards at any real speed, water would probably go over the transom and COULD swamp the boat. Can you swap out ESC's for one that will give a faster reverse? Yes you can but, at the same time, you could also be setting up the boat for a one way trip to the bottom unless you install a really good bilge pump that can keep up with the water flooding the hull when you do back up at the higher speeds

Last edited by a moderator:
How well does the air powered boat work in windy conditions?

Does it have enough power to push against the wind?

The wind at our pond is usually in our favour but when things go wrong you never know.

Back