Help Support IntlWaters by donating using the link above.
Photo

Name that Rigger

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 JS_Racing

JS_Racing

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

It looks like it might be one of Mike Hallam's boats he built back in the late 90's...

#17 john urbowicz

john urbowicz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:06 PM

looks like pinckert's gator.  solid shaft, it seems.  the gator was before his coyote,  which was copied by roadrunner.  

#18 Randy Rapedius

Randy Rapedius

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

It looks like it might be one of Mike Hallam's boats he built back in the late 90's...

Late 90’s with a hard shaft???

#19 SayMikey

SayMikey

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:59 PM

Id call it a early Crapper  Water Spyder cowl was more rounded.Avenger cowl was wood all angled with a fake windshield best I remember

#20 carlnoki

carlnoki

National Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

That one is a Water Spider for sure.

I used to race them for a number of years.

First ones I had were from Louis Durand out of the New Orleans area back in the early 80's. (this is when I first started boating when I was stationed at Keesler AFB in MS.)

Most every one in that area of the country ran OPS motors from Sharmock. Then Art McMeans started to bring the Picco

motors in to the country back then.

I used to race against Louis, Roger (possum) (can't remember his last name), Shirley (Louis's wife), Art, Don Pinkert, Jim Youngblood, Scott McGuffin, Doc, Gene Taylor and a bunch of other guys.

Notice the hard shaft on the 3rd pic. 

Don Wagners Avergers had the recessed transom for mounting a flex shaft strut to keep the prop the same location as the hard shaft boats.

Then Don came out with the Spiderette.  It was the Avenger tub with the Spider sponsons. (made his boats more stable and quicker)

Eventually, Don just called them avengers.

The Spiders that I had were the 20 outboard, the 60-90 boat with OS 90RSR ABN (ran like a scalded dog with minor motor tweaks)

a few with Picco 65's and 80's in them,and a few 40 boats.

Sadly, Don lost all the templates/patterns when the big Hurricane hit a few years ago.

Carl

#21 john urbowicz

john urbowicz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:27 AM

First ones I had were from Louis Durand out of the New Orleans area back in the early 80's. (this is when I first started boating when I was stationed at Keesler AFB in MS.)

Most every one in that area of the country ran OPS motors from Sharmock. Then Art McMeans started to bring the Picco

I used to race against Louis, Roger (possum) (can't remember his last name), Shirley (Louis's wife), Art, Don Pinkert, Jim Youngblood, Scott McGuffin, Doc, Gene Taylor and a bunch of other guys.

Don Wagners Avergers had the recessed transom for mounting a flex shaft strut to keep the prop the same location as the hard shaft boats.

Then Don came out with the Spiderette.  It was the Avenger tub with the Spider sponsons. (made his boats more stable and quicker)

The Spiders that I had were the 20 outboard, the 60-90 boat with OS 90RSR ABN (ran like a scalded dog with minor motor tweaks)

Sadly, Don lost all the templates/patterns when the big Hurricane hit a few years ago.

Carl    is don wagner still with us?

#22 carlnoki

carlnoki

National Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

Carl    is don wagner still with us?

Both he and Jean are still going strong. They are just in a different part of teh state these days is all.

#23 SayMikey

SayMikey

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Back in the day Steve Green out of St. Louis splashed a lot of boats. He  made variations of a lot of different boats 

#24 JS_Racing

JS_Racing

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Late 90’s with a hard shaft???

Sorry - correction - late 80's

#25 GraysonTaylor

GraysonTaylor

Beginner Boater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:03 AM

Looks a lot like my Dumas Quicky 40. The uneven spacing on the sponsons looks the same too. The cowl would be custom.

Never mind, the nose is narrower and no bate box....

Edited by GraysonTaylor, 14 May 2018 - 09:11 AM.