My New Jaguar III .21 Hydro Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longballlumber

Hello all,

I thought that I would share with everyone my build of a VERY NICE Jaguar III .21 Hydro Kit. Many of you know that Bob Ferguson is selling these kits, and I have got to tell you that Bob does an excellent job! The craftsmanship is superior and I am told by Bob that the tub and sponsons are put together using Epoxy rather than super glue. That should make for a long lasting and strong hull.

As you can see, I have gotten the whole enchilada from Bob down to the motor mount, turn fin, strut, rudder assembly, and boat stand. I suggest contacting Bob for exact pricing on boat kits, hardware, stands and etc. I am sure that he would welcome inquires and appreciate your business.

I have to tell you, this will be my very first build of a brand new kit of this caliber! The other boats I have owned and raced have been used and already built. I guess you could still call me a rookie at building. However, I do have many years of observing in some sort. I am not too worried though, I have a pretty good mentor that has building and racing boats for some time now. I would guess he’s been doing this for 36+ years. I would say that I am in pretty good hands. B) Alright enough of the babbling…

Here are the parts I received from Bob

DSCF0143.JPG

DSCF0144.JPG

DSCF0145.JPG

As recommended I starting by installing the motor mount and getting it drilled and tapped for my motor. I am going to be running a Nova Rossi/Top 5 port that I won at the 2009 IMPBA Nats in Seville OH. Thanks Glenn!!!

DSCF0153.JPG

So, Basically I have gotten the motor mounted, I have mounted the strut, and started the process of gluing in the stuffing tube sleeve. I was really worried about gluing in the sleeve. I guess that I wanted to make sure that I was doing everything correct. I defiantly don’t want to do this twice. For that matter, I don't want to do any of this build twice.

Using a 3/16 rod and brass tubing telescoped to the correct size keeps the sleeve in the correct position on the motor end. I used some 1/4 brass tubing to align the sleeve on the strut end. I still have a few more layers of glass clothe to lie in supporting the stuffing tube sleeve.

Later,

Mike

So, Basically I have gotten the motor mounted, I have mounted the strut, and started the process of gluing in the stuffing tube sleeve. I was really worried about gluing in the sleeve. I guess that I wanted to make sure that I was doing everything correct. I defiantly don’t want to do this twice. For that matter, I don't want to do any of this build twice.

Using a 3/16 rod and brass tubing telescoped to the correct size keeps the sleeve in the correct position on the motor end. I used some 1/4 brass tubing to align the sleeve on the strut end. I still have a few more layers of glass clothe to lie in supporting the stuffing tube sleeve.

Later,

Mike
Mike:

Keep wiping the excess glue off. You would be amazed at how much weight just extra glue can make by the time you are done with it.

Mike:
Keep wiping the excess glue off. You would be amazed at how much weight just extra glue can make by the time you are done with it.
Thanks for the tip Mary! I have been trying to keep the excess epoxy at a minimum, but I want to make sure I saturate the cloth enough to do its job. I did make sure to rough up (sand) the brass tube, and clean before gluing in so I should be in good shape

By the way; I really enjoyed the Saturday afternoons at the Indy pond launching and talking boats with you, Stu, Larry (The Squirrel), Tommy, and Joe when we were both still living there. I learned a lot from talking and listening to you guys too. Although, I think I get it honestly.

Once this cures and the stuffing tube sleeve is "set" I am going to sand/trim (the cloth) everything down and put 1 or 2 more layers inside the radio box to help secure it all. I am using 1.4oz fiber cloth. I also have a balsa block that I will use to support the rest of the stuffing tube sleeve up to the bulkhead. All recommendations from my personal mentor (Thanks Dad! B) ), I wouldn’t be able to do it right the first time without your help! Last time I checked your .21 hydros have run pretty good in the past!

Later,

Mike

No problem Glenn,

I am sure that I speak for many that we appreciate you supporting the hobby as you do! I only regret taking so long to do something with it. I hadn't even pulled the plastic of the box until a few months ago. I am still keeping an eye on those Toro motors...

Thanks

Mike

Looking good Mike! Keep up the postings, great information for All!!!!

Dad
Thanks Dad,

I just posted some more pictures. These were all taken last weekend. I did get the rudder mounted yesterday. Now I need to start working on the rudder servo mounting and linkage set up. I did screw up though; I didn't have the "backing" block tight enough against the transom. So when I drilled threw it splintered... F....udge! Oh well, I guess I will need to try something different next time. A GOOD set of drill bits that are sharp may be part of my problem. I'll need to take it in the chin and keep moving on.

Good, I hope this type of info is helpful to Al and anyone else that needs some help with getting started. I certainly don’t have all of the tips and tricks like you expert builders have, but hopefully it will give others the motivation and the confidence to build their own boats too!

Later,

Mike

Lookin' good! That's gotta be one of the most complete kits I've ever seen, wow, even a stand!

Hope you'll come and run it in London at our "NLMBC Open" June 18, 19. :)

Hey Guys,

I finally got a chance to get some more done on my .21 Jag. I’ve gotten the rudder assembly mounted and my rudder linkage set up. I am planning on using the newer Woods style rubber boots/bellows for the linkage. I HATE DRILLING HOLES THRU THE BULKHEADS, WHAT A PIA!!!!! I am dreading setting up the throttle and third channel needle. Oh well, I’ll get there… I added a few more pictures in my gallery...

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=678&do=view_album&album=1103

Later,

Mike

<br />No problem Glenn, <br /><br />I am sure that I speak for many that we appreciate you supporting the hobby as you do!
I have to agree with that , Glenn has done an amazing job keeping Nova's running strong in North America.

Tim K

It’s about time I got this build going again!!!! I spent some time a few weeks ago working on the servo mounts (carbon fiber 90* angle) fitted to my Futaba 3102 servos.

I went ahead and sent the motor to Steve Wood to get a Christmas motor massage!!! He does some really nice work.

With the motor back I was able to get downstairs and work on my throttle linkage. Some careful measurements, a few bends on a test wire, and PREST-O BANG-O we got a nice linkage to the throttle.

I am going to use the Woods seals on this boat so I have a 5/16 hole in the bulkhead.

As for the third channel mixture, I am going to be using the Perry Mixture Control. It’s a nice compact unit. Plus, this Jag III center section gets tight real quick.

After doing some test fit ups, it looks like I will be putting the needle underneath the right side motor mount this will keep the linkage away from the flywheel and starting belt. Unfortunately, the mount is too thick and will need to be machined on the underside to provide clearance to slide the mixture control under the Delrin mount. Since I have got the throttle done up, I will take apart the motor mount and send it down to my Dad for some machine work. Stay Tuned!!!!

Later,

Mike Ball

Reminder, all of my pictures are in the following gallery... http://www.intlwater...03&sortby=idate

Last edited by a moderator:
Back