One off mold

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sand and polish it if you can then wash and dry and spray on a couple of LIGHT coats of PVA . Let cure and spray a light coat of gel and next day layup . PVA is water soluble so a little warm water and air and out it pops from the mold .

I wax the mold (or the plug) 8 times before brushing on PVA. I have found disposable foam brush work great when applying the PVA

kez.

As long as the surface is smooth the PVA is the barrier . A couple of light coats with no runs is what you want . Allow to dry between coats . I always spray it on al med pressure with a detail /door jam gun .

Ok made some progress. It took almost 5 days for Ultracast 30 to completely dry out. Cleaned it up and sealed with Zinseer shelac primer. Gave it 6 coats of wax and a 3-4 light coats (no runs or fish eye) of PVA mold release. Instead of Gel coat I use West System dyed red and added cabasol thickner. Gave it two good coats, just finished laying it up with cloth and resin. In the vac bag curing. Fingers crossed,
default_wink.png

CIMG1074.jpg

CIMG1075.jpg

Ok made some progress. It took almost 5 days for Ultracast 30 to completely dry out. Cleaned it up and sealed with Zinseer shelac primer. Gave it 6 coats of wax and a 3-4 light coats (no runs or fish eye) of PVA mold release. Instead of Gel coat I use West System dyed red and added cabasol thickner. Gave it two good coats, just finished laying it up with cloth and resin. In the vac bag curing. Fingers crossed,
default_wink.png
Cool,Can't wait to see it.

default_wink.png

Looks great!
default_smile.png

Nice,just laid up a 20 hydro cowl had to buy a new vacuum pump

What pump did you get?

I never had good results with west system for parts layup. Had to do them thick to get them stiffened up on the flat parts. West is flexable. Thats what makes it a great for boat building. Has give and wont rip apart. Looks like you have enough shape there for support. I use research resin. Easy to wet out. Nice and stiff. Lite too.

Back