Yet another mono ID.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidrichmond

Someone converted this hull to an outboard, but my question is, what is it? I originally thought it was a mach 3.5 but it is only 27.25" long. Thank you for your help. 20180715_170530.jpeg20180715_170515.jpeg20180715_165656.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Excellent game-show question:

Could this have been a JVS brand .40-size mono ? If I remember correctly the JVS mono's came in three sizes.

My first RC boat was, literally, a JVS .19-size mono, in red metal-flake gel-coat finish (just like the one in the attatched images- although that is someone else's). Mine was powered by a converted Supertigre .19 R/C, traditional side-exhaust engine; Octura Kool-Klamp & aluminum flywheel; Marine Specialties aluminum rudder, parallel strut & engine mount; Kraft 2-channel "brick" radio. A great running "ski-boat" style RC model boat to learn driving on. Would have been very fast with a .21 inboard marine. Love to have a new one. I graduated from free-running Dumas "Swamp Buggy" & "Miss Unlimited" model boats (yes free-running) to a JVS mono
default_smile.png

JVS were two brothers, Jern & Vern Schmidth ("JVS"). They were very good boat designers and fabricators. I believe they were full-size race boat designers/builders. Their kits were very well fabricated, consisting of high-quality polyester resin w/gel-coat finishes (many finished in old-school large-grain metal-flake). JVS hulls were initially distributed by Hobby Shack radio control model retail chain (headquartered in Orange County, Calif). Jern & Vern Schmidth's shop was also located in Orange County. I remember seeing them on a number of occasions running/racing their boats locally at Legg Lake and San Diego Model Yatch Pond in the Southern Calif area. They were very nice guys.

JVS were also known for their famous Claim Jumper hydro's.

JVS_20Mono_eBay-matthemccoi0_Aug2017_04.jpg

JVS_20Mono_eBay-matthemccoi0_Aug2017_06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the reply, I always enjoy learning the history and background of these boats. While the top decks share a similar look, I'm not sure about the hull. The width of mine stays the same almost all the way to the front and it gets deeper at the transom to create lift. I am guessing this is why they converted it to an outboard. 20180715_162809.jpeg

While the top decks share a similar look, I'm not sure about the hull. The width of mine stays the same almost all the way to the front and it gets deeper at the transom to create lift.
yes, the hull (bottom) itself is very different from the other, that's why I was'nt 100% sure. But, what makes me think it's a JVS hull, is the way the engine compartment has a wooden sheet laminated into the center of the floor (from transom-to-engine area). They layed-up most all their hulls that way. And the style of the deck (the flange defining the "windshield")? But who know?

I was thinking someone did that to help cover up the hole for the stuffing box on a subsurface drive during the conversion. However, after learning that they laid their hulls up this way, I am thinking you have discovered the makers of this hull. I appreciate your time and input. The hull is so solid that I believe it deserves at least a second chance at becoming a sport boat. Thanks again.

I was thinking someone did that to help cover up the hole for the stuffing box on a subsurface drive during the conversion. However, after learning that they laid their hulls up this way, I am thinking you have discovered the makers of this hull. I appreciate your time and input. The hull is so solid that I believe it deserves at least a second chance at becoming a sport boat. Thanks again
The laminated wood sheet in the hull floor provided additional reinforcement structurally, and a more rigid surface for installation of stuffing box (lamination), strut, and turn-fin.

My only question is the hull-bottom on your picture, it has multiple strakes, can't remember the JVS mono-hull's incorporating multiple-strake bottom design? But maybe they did? Otherwise it looks pretty much like JVS style fabrication . JVS produced hull's during early/mid 1970's

Last edited by a moderator:
Back