Rear Wing and Canards Construction ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Sarda

Can anyone tell me where I can find instructions on how to build the actual pieces for the rear wing and canards on a hydro?

Thank You

Gene

Plywood covered by epoxy & fiberglass. Balsa, epoxy & glass. Foam epoxy & glass. Could use carbon fiber instead of glass. There's a good video on epoxy glass finishing somewhere on here. Just wing it :)

Might have been Mark, don't remember right off hand.

As far as a canard, Gene, which kind are you needing, the split canard with the rear flaps or the full moving canard? How they are built and installed is different. With the split canard, the front half of the canard is actually built as part of the boat's structure

Note, this tread is for a 1/6th scale gas according to Jim's.
default_ph34r.png

AS I said in the gas thread, they need to be really strong with break away mounting. You will be shocked at the forces water puts on these big boats even while running normally. Flips are something else.

Lohring Miller

Thank you all,I was looking for actual instructions on how to build them,I appreciate the help.

Gene

AS I said in the gas thread, they need to be really strong with break away mounting. You will be shocked at the forces water puts on these big boats even while running normally. Flips are something else.

Lohring Miller
If you have the capacity these carbon jobs are the bomb. Note the horizontal wing has 36 lbs. of steel sitting on them with zero deflection. Both upright and horizontal are only 4 oz. combined.

2 pieces of 1/8th" carbon fiber/foam core material glued, shaped and wrapped with 6oz. CF cloth and vacuum bagged. For most scale projects I gather as many photos as I can and start making patterns out of file card stock until it just looks to be the correct profile and scale in relation to the real boat. You just have to sneak up on it. These are pretty darn close.

if I was doing Gas Scale wings/Canard I would use 3 pieces of core material (with the middle piece hollowed out some for weight) epoxied together for correct scale and strength.

One thing I had to do when I started testing this boat was get rid of the negative angle on the wing and get it zero'd out with the bottom of the boat. With the negative lift when the boat took a long airborne hop in the chutes the negative angle would tip the bow over. Stuff City.

Carbon Wings 1.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

Velocity 1.JPG

Velocity 2.JPG

Velocity Model 2.JPG

Velocity model 3.JPG

Velocity model.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back