Weed eater engine choices for prather 46"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benmcfarland

Guys, Gals,

I recently repurchased my prather 46" I had when I was 12 so 26 years ago. It was fun to find it but it was in pretty bad shape. I made new stringers today and the transom doubler. I glassed those in today and next week I will sand everything and get it ready to paint. I plan to make this a test bed for my kids to play with and then make my own hulls for them once they have a handle on driving it. I currently have 3 engines to chose from and time is not an issue but to start with I will not be buying a zenoah or anything like that but possibly will as everyones skills improve.

What I have is a GT2000 Echo engine in awesome shape, I also have a 31cc Ryobi leaf blower engine, and a Mcoullah (spelled wrong) eager beaver engine not sure of displacement yet . The Echo is by far the best quality and has a clutch which I prefer but it will also be the smallest in size but potentially the lightest of the bunch. I will machine a water jacket for the cylinder and also machine a bearing retainer for the clutch. I have read that the Echo's are good quality but dont have a lot of potential for growth HP is that true?

What do you all suggest is the best engine to have a go at first? again budget build first and then go for big power later. The engine mods wont cost me anything so keep in mind I am just dealing with what I have..

Thanks

i know you said you do not want to go with a zen but you may want to rethink that.its going to be hard to get parts for the weed eater(engine mounts , header&pipe and to water cool it)with a zen the parts r going to be a lot eazer to get.a stock zen has about 2hp so it is no power house to start off with.if and when you do want more power you could upgrade to a top kit.going with a zen is going to make it a lot eazer.

I know then Zens are probably the way to go but that is part of the fun of the challenge. I actually did this once before when I first had the boat. I took my moms sthil weed eater and took the engine off and then wrapped copper in the cooling fins and made it water cooled. it was again when I was 12 but still it worked well. I still like the weight of the echo and realize I will have to make a pipe (javapipe.com is a good place to start) but I think I could achieve 2hp out of the echo?

lotta work. ya i remember the fun conversion thing when i was first playing gas. go for it

if u get tired and on a budget GIZMOMOTORS has the rev(pretty much a zen) for $99. he has all sorts a addons that u can upgrade as the money comes rather cheaply,and a good guy to deal with(the website/ordering/delivery speedwise anyway)

also ZIPPKITS economical shoping for acc.

may i add ,if ur going the DIY route,find a 43-60cc chainsaw engine (note proper lefthand rotation) at least for ur tinkering u will have a kick ass power house lol

lotta work. ya i remember the fun conversion thing when i was first playing gas. go for it

if u get tired and on a budget GIZMOMOTORS has the rev(pretty much a zen) for $99. he has all sorts a addons that u can upgrade as the money comes rather cheaply,and a good guy to deal with(the website/ordering/delivery speedwise anyway)

also ZIPPKITS economical shoping for acc.

may i add ,if ur going the DIY route,find a 43-60cc chainsaw engine (note proper lefthand rotation) at least for ur tinkering u will have a kick ass power house lol
Yup good suggestions. I am open to all options just trying to show my kids that anything is possible then I will open up the wallett LOL

Latest posts

Back