Alloy for sponson booms

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHail

I picked up a used 67 roadrunner and the previous owner didn't shy away from using a dremel on the rear boom to provide clearance for the carb, to the point the that the boom is nearly cut in half. I can't imagine a two piece boom will do anything good for handling. What is the preferred alloy for booms, 2024-T3?

Tim,

Thanks. I'm on the slope for the next week and was just going to order a couple lengths of tubing from Aircraft Spruce so I'll have spares. I figure it'll arrive about the time I get back from the slope.

Tim,

I think it's 5/8" od with a 0.055" wall, but if you wouldn't mind checking on your rigger that would be great. Also if you could measure how long the boom is.

6061 or solid carbon.

Brad
The boom is tubing and the sponson's slide on the inside of the tubing. I suppose I could go with 3/8" solid carbon but then I'd need to make up a 5/8" od 1/8" wall tube for the tub. A bit more work then just getting some tubing cutting to length and drilling for mounting bolts.

This is what we did with ours. Never had a flexing problem. Boat handles just fine. Also we run the spacing at 17 inches inside to inside.

If you go the carbon route you can get it from Clearwater or ACP composites. Get the twill carbon and it comes rough but if you wetsand it you can make it smooth.

IMG_20170518_195215.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for everyone's input. I'll order a couple 3' lengths of tubing and cut to size.

Paul I have put a piece of solid alum round stock in the tube between the adjustment bolts. This way if you have to notch for carb you still have the strength.
default_cool.png

Latest posts

Back