Cutting down prop diameter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHail

I discovered some old X series props in my misc. box of rc stuff and it looks like they can be tweaked to be useful props after a de-tounge, cutting down the diameter and possibly back cutting.

Let's say I have an X-452 and want to cut it down to 50mm for a 21 outrigger prop. For cutting down the diameter do you mount it on a mandrel on the lathe and just cut to the desired diameter? If so, what type/shape of cutting tool works well for the interrupted cut on beryllium copper alloy?

For sharpening and shaping I understand the safety aspects of using a respirator and gloves but what power tools can be reasonably safely used? Die grinder, belt sander or stick with hand files?

Paul, rather than taking time to cut down to smaller prop. Measure an (x-450) diameter Mark (x-452) see if pitch is the same in all area's. Other thing if you want something between the two (I can understand).

I've heard guys do it in a lathe, but take dremmel with cutoff wheel index in any amount on blade area (both) Then sand till you connect each line. I use a 90 degree air grinder with 2" scotch Brite pads. Start with brown (course) for heavy cut, maroon (medium) blue (smooth). No need to use sanding pads (will take too much with just a slip) and lost everything.

I've done my own by hand for years but had a sit down job, wore out a lot of files & bandages from slips. If interested in make a gauge with pointer & blocks to check blade area's your working on. Email me I'll send you info I also make a tool to pitch & cup props called a (Prop Anvil) $39.95. ([email protected] or text 8124537137) bam racing products on Facebook.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back