Breaking News! Dead boat penalty?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Brown

Yes! There is a penalty.

The penalty is 169, 225, 300 or even 400 Points! Or worse....your dead boat gets run over.

I could expound, but I will leave it there.

Give up 5 mph and finish more heats. A concept overseas has been onto for a longtime. A lot harder to hit a dead boat if they arent dead.

I heard that oversea racing is a totally different game as they run as teams. They also retrieve dead boats while the race is on as seen on some of the videos. I would not like to be in the retrive boat!!

Brad

0 DNF's = WOOD.
default_wink.png
default_cool.png

Don't think that the riggers overseas are any slower than the riggers in North America. A 21 rigger from Germany won US-1 at the 2017 IMPBA Internats.

I remember Art McMeans at the 1993 Internats stating "If you don't want your boat hit don't park it out there"! This was after he ran through the middle of Gary Preusse's 45 rigger. Hit it so hard it busted the mounting lugs off the engine.

I heard that oversea racing is a totally different game as they run as teams. They also retrieve dead boats while the race is on as seen on some of the videos. I would not like to be in the retrive boat!!

Brad
Brad

You are talking about the M course 30 minutes races (FSR-V / Mono). The hydro races are very similar to the races here in North America.

Alex

I remember Art McMeans at the 1993 Internats stating "If you don't want your boat hit don't park it out there"! This was after he ran through the middle of Gary Preusse's 45 rigger. Hit it so hard it busted the mounting lugs off the engine.
Is that the one with the SPECTACULAR explosion pics - ??

In the 40 years I have been RC Boat racing I can't remember once when somebody intentionally tried to run over a dead boat.....

By definition every time we launch a boat it is put into harms way by its owner and all are trying to occupy the same 6 square feet at buoy #1.....

I once a saw a "T" shirt at a race several years back and it said and truer words were never spoken........

"I BUY , I BUILD , I RACE , I CRASH"
default_biggrin.png
:D
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png
It is not a matter of if you are going to get hit , the only question is a matter of when.....

I realize that when a boat gets hit emotions run high and words are spoke but.......

If you don't expect that your boat will someday get hit , don't take it out of the trailer....

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally absurd , it happens to everyone and for many different reasons not the least of which is **** happens . It's part of it .
That's why you take lots of pictures of the boat before you race it right. I have seen 2 scale nitro boats utterly destroyed before they ever turned a race lap. One of them lost the radio and hit those logs in front of the dam in Chelan Washington and sailed out of site.

Dont hit my boat BRO The penalty is standing there for 2 minutes watching helplessly as others race inside and outside your boat. Its not about your boat its about the attitudes of the others in that heat at that moment.

And this : Several years ago at a Legg Lake D19 Gas/Nitro/FE race I loaned my P-Sport Hydro FE30 to a Mr. Jeff M. to participate and I entered my P-Ltd Sport Hydro (slower but always finished). Halfway through the heat Jeff flipped and rendered dead the P-Sport on the far-off back straight. Since my pit/spotter's attention had momentarily ventured to some distant parallel universe and failed to warn me of the (my) upside-down P- Sport FE30 I NAILED/ SPLATTERED IT at full chat with the P-Ltd Sport, earning the rare but coveted 2 For 1 Carnage Special, taking out both of my own boats in a single heat.

Yup -

"The penalty is standing there for 2 minutes watching helplessly as others race inside and outside your boat(s). "

Fun, Fun......

The reason I brought up this subject is "quality of racing".

To have 5 or 6 boats start a heat and 4 or 5 boats finish the heat would be fantastic.

There is a thousand reasons why a boat does not finish a heat, but I think our success rate could vastly improve

if everyone had a conscious mind set to "Finish the heat".

Things that could help, in no particular order.

1. Prep time on the boat. Both set up detail and practice time.

2. Race to finish. Race hard to win, but plan to finish.

3. Bring less boats to race. Two well prepped boats vs. 4 boats with little maintenance and prep time.

4. Weather - Sometimes there is a 1 or 2 hour period during the day when the sun creates way too much glare

at a critical point on the race course. Clubs normally know the particular situation at their lake and could allow time in the schedule for a possible one or two hour down time.

I know there will objections to my suggestions, but my main objective is to see more boats finish heats.

Each individual can work on their own best ways to achieve that.

Bring on a great 2018 racing season!

Back