IMPBA World Records 4 01 1995

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley Maglinger

My brother Curtis and I found some old literature on the Records back in 1995. Crazy to see the difference in 23 years has made.

keszsn.jpg
o8yjx0.jpg
2q9atna.jpg

Awesome find Bradley! Thanks for posting! Brings back some memories.

1/4 mile Oval, F Hydro, 18.161 secs., 49.6 mph, John Brown 1988, Rossi 80 powered Mongoose 80. 30 years ago.

Current record - 17.027 secs. 52.9 mph David Hall, MAC 84 powered JAE.

E and F Hydro SAW of 96 and 95 mph set by Jerry Pettefer in 1995 where Andy Brown Jaguars, complete with full racing turnfin. Picco 67 and 80 power.

Andy Brown boats held the F Hydro SAW records continuously from 1988 (Mongoose/ Joe Ingrao) until 2017 when Martin Truex Jr and Mark Grim improved the record with their boats.

29 straight years. The record swapped around between Joe Ingrao, Jerry Pettefer, and myself many times and included all of my hull designs, Mongoose, Eagle, Jaguar, Eagle SG. My last F Hydro record stood for 16 years.

I believe it was 1987 when the manually timed records were retired and the electronic timing began. Doc Turner held the first electronic record in 1987 with his Twin Rossi 80 powered Coyote.

Last edited by a moderator:
E and F Hydro SAW of 96 and 95 mph set by Jerry Pettefer in 1995 where Andy Brown Jaguars, complete with full racing turnfin. Picco 67 and 80 power.

Andy Brown boats held the F Hydro SAW records continuously from 1988 (Mongoose/ Joe Ingrao) until 2017 when Martin Truex Jr and Mark Grim improved the record with their boats.

29 straight years. The record swapped around between Joe Ingrao, Jerry Pettefer, and myself many times and included all of my hull designs, Mongoose, Eagle, Jaguar, Eagle SG. My last F Hydro record stood for 16 years.

I believe it was 1987 when the manually timed records were retired and the electronic timing began. Doc Turner held the first electronic record in 1987 with his Twin Rossi 80 powered Coyote.
. It was around 1987. All records were whiped clean, Doc went and ran his heat race twin. I believe it was around 74 mph. I have that twin on a vhs tape at our old local pond.

Pretty sure I was the Records Director back then and was wondering who would be the first to break that magic 100 mph barrier.

IIRC Joe Ingrao was first, followed by Andy then Mike Nowicki with a 40 boat.
default_smile.png

Pretty sure I was the Records Director back then and was wondering who would be the first to break that magic 100 mph barrier.

default_smile.png
. Andy was first in impba. As for Joe , if he was still here, he would tell you he did what he did, giving full credit to Andy. What year did Mike run over 100?

default_smile.png
. Andy was first in impba. As for Joe , if he was still here, he would tell you he did what he did, giving full credit to Andy. What year did Mike run over 100?

I may be wrong but IIRC Joe was the first to break 100 with Andy's stuff. He flew up to Flint during this time running one of Andy's 40 boats ( Jaguar?) with a Picco 67 or 80 I believe. Andy will probably remember. They both did it in Hunstville.

Mike went 100+ sometime in the mid 90's with his own design and a K&B 7.5 IIRC. I'll see if he can chime in here...

. It was around 1987. All records were whiped clean, Doc went and ran his heat race twin. I believe it was around 74 mph. I have that twin on a vhs tape at our old local pond.

The boat was a single Rossi 80 in a Coyote and I think you are right on the speed

Gene Taylor made the first passes. The guys said Doc you can go faster. So we started playing with props and set the record

On the Right to Left pass the boat was slow to get on the pipe, BUT it did and blew off the water just as it cleared the timing light. I had completed the Left to right and beat Genes time on that pass and then backed it up right to left

GREAT MEMORIES

The boat was a single Rossi 80 in a Coyote and I think you are right on the speed

Gene Taylor made the first passes. The guys said Doc you can go faster. So we started playing with props and set the record

On the Right to Left pass the boat was slow to get on the pipe, BUT it did and blew off the water just as it cleared the timing light. I had completed the Left to right and beat Genes time on that pass and then backed it up right to left

GREAT MEMORIES
. Ok, yes on the single. I do have your twin Rossi 80 coyote on video, I guess thats why I thought it was the twin you used for that record.

Was a little later than I thought!
default_smile.png

Mike_100.JPG
. Terry, go to Andys website and you will see the plaque given to him for being the first in Impba to go over 100. Then Joe Ingrao and then John Finch. As far as going over 105, I was told I was #4 when I went 106.888 in Valdosta . A day after I did that , Eric Canto went over 105 with a speed of 106+ also making him number 5. Shortly after all that John Brown ran Andys SAW boat and joined the 110 club. I believe Don Ferrette was the next when he ran 108+. Jeff Lutz

Andy Brown was the first person in IMPBA to put together back to back runs over 100 MPH for an official record. That is why, as IMPBA President at the time, I had a special plaque made up to recognize this great accomplishment. It was given to him by the IMPBA Board of Directors. If you go to Andy's website you will see a picture of this plaque. Well deserved, I might add!

Dick Tyndall

On morning of Feb 21, 1998 Joe Ingrao and I arrived at the Huntsville lake. Joe ran first and touched 100 mph on one pass with his CMB 100 powered 45 SG.

I ran three minutes later and made two back to back passes between 101 and 102 setting the D hydro record at 101.626 mph with a CMB 45 powered 21 SG.

Joe set the F hydro record in the high 90's that weekend.

These were the first ever IMPBA 100 mph passes.

The next year we returned to Huntsville. I bumped up Joe's F record. I forget the speed, but had a best pass of 117+

Joe had a best pass of 110+.

All executed with the infamous Ski jump and Slalom buoys.

A few months later, May 1999, I traveled to Legg lake and set the X hydro record at 111 mph with a best pass on the day of 119.8 mph.

I also set the .67 records at both of those events at about 105 mph.

A lot of records set at Huntsville

There are record trials next month and also in Nov starting Fri after Thanksgiving.

I miss ole Joe Ingrao and his wife. They were good people. Joe had a Red Man hydro that I always enjoyed watching. If you ran that class back then you had to deal with that boat because it was going to be smoking every time it hit the water.

On a round track note: Joe and Andy came to Huntsville with the first "K" engine I had ever seen in an AB hydro and if I remember right they turned the first 9 second lap ever recorded in the IMPBA and that was many years ago. That was impressive! I stood there in disbelief for a few minuets after that thinking NOBODY will ever break that one.

I miss ole Joe Ingrao and his wife. They were good people. Joe had a Red Man hydro that I always enjoyed watching. If you ran that class back then you had to deal with that boat because it was going to be smoking every time it hit the water.

On a round track note: Joe and Andy came to Huntsville with the first "K" engine I had ever seen in an AB hydro and if I remember right they turned the first 9 second lap ever recorded in the IMPBA and that was many years ago. That was impressive! I stood there in disbelief for a few minuets after that thinking NOBODY will ever break that one.
Hey Carl,

Joe's old Redman was 19 pounds. Kind slow in the turns but smokin' fast down the straights. Joe won lots of races with that boat.

I forgot about that K-90 record. It was in the original Eagle SG 80 boat. That was Feb. 1997 I set the record at 18.204 seconds.

I was the first into the 18s in 1993 with a Picco 90 powered Eagle at Love's marina in Houston Tx.

John Brown was the first to get into the 17s. That was 1999 with the very first MAC 67.

Now we are looking at Martin's 14s. Exciting stuff!

Hey Carl,

Joe's old Redman was 19 pounds. Kind slow in the turns but smokin' fast down the straights. Joe won lots of races with that boat.

I forgot about that K-90 record. It was in the original Eagle SG 80 boat. That was Feb. 1997 I set the record at 18.204 seconds.

I was the first into the 18s in 1993 with a Picco 90 powered Eagle at Love's marina in Houston Tx.

John Brown was the first to get into the 17s. That was 1999 with the very first MAC 67.

Now we are looking at Martin's 14s. Exciting stuff!
Yea, Martin has tightened those records up for sure. You would have to be pack'n some stupid fast stuff just to match that time much less put the required .25 on top of it to book it. I hope we have some good air & water this fall.

There has been a lot of improvements made through the years. You can buy engines engines now that out of the box will out perform our chopped up stuff back inn the day and props that look like they belong in the bottom of a freaking margarita blender...
default_blink.png
I love it.

Back