cleaning tuned pipes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Schymik

how do you clean the build up and grit out of a tuned pipe?

I have heard use gasoline. not tried it

I have scrubbed them with long brushes... inadequate

Thanks

Brian

spray the inside of pipe with easy-off oven cleaner let soak over night. wash out with water. Clean pipe J.

spray the inside of pipe with easy-off oven cleaner let soak over night. wash out with water. Clean pipe J.
That is a good one Jack. One of the main ingredients is sodium hydroxide which can be used to clean concrete.

I couldn't find any information about the glass type ceramic sealer used on glow bee plugs.

JA

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx

I'll try that Jack!

Makes sense to me
Don't get it on outside of pipe, it's caustic and mar the alum. finish.
default_ohmy.png

Someting to keep in mind about any tuned pipe; " the carbon forms a thermal insuation between the hot exhaust gases & the cooler pipe walls. So the more carbon there is, the more heat remains in the exhaust gasses. Hence a higher speed of sound in those gases and faster-moving pulses. It is the same effect that a shorter pipe would display." Therefore if the tuned pipe is to short to start with the carbon buildup will make the situation worse.

JA

Someting to keep in mind about any tuned pipe; " the carbon forms a thermal insuation between the hot exhaust gases & the cooler pipe walls. So the more carbon there is, the more heat remains in the exhaust gasses. Hence a higher speed of sound in those gases and faster-moving pulses. It is the same effect that a shorter pipe would display." Therefore if the tuned pipe is to short to start with the carbon buildup will make the situation worse.

JA
True...so that would make a fast pipe faster because of pulse speed... if you play with the length? If the pipe has a carbon build up on the in side,would that be the same as people putting Tape on the outside to help keep heat in pipe?? The pipe wrap is the latest thing people are following like sheep,and works for some app's. So which would be the better. A carbon build up over time in a good design pipe...or just any pipe with tape will be the ticket.

I don't know if the carbon build up inside would react in the same way that a wrap or baked on black ceramic paint on the outside would. What is on the outside is not changing, but the carbon build inside is changing! I use a sand blaster with fine medium to clean the pipe inside.

JA

Boaters,

I need a few custom carbon pipes made for some 12-SAW boat applications.

I liked the ones Brian Buass made us for heat racing, but now we need some

12-SAW pipes made. I had Scott Bouchie build a few for us to test last year, but

looking for someone to fabricate a new design in carbon if possible?

If anyone knows someone here in the States that can make us a few let me know

please?

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Email address is: [email protected]

231-590-3023

I broke down and bought a relatively cheap ebay Chinese sonic cleaner big enough for a pipe and it is amazing how well it works. It also heats the water. I use a cup of the HD Simple Green cleaner/degreaser (Walmart has a gallon for $10) in the water.

When I use it on my motor cases, headers, motor mounts and pipes they look better than new. It even removes any of the casting sand that is left in the cases. You put something in there that you think is pretty clean and the amount of crud in the bottom after a couple of cycles is surprising.The parts come out looking like jewelry.

Latest posts

Back