pull starter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andymicke

today the rope on my pull starter broke. I got it off the engine. and it looks like the only comprised part was the rope itself. it looks easy to fix. anyone have any tips on where to get a replacement rope. this one is nylon for sure. thanks in advance guys

ANDY

My son broke so many we called him Popeye " LOL "

I found some Kevlar rope and replaced every one of them ,

If you have the time to do so send it to me > I will repair your's for free ,

You will never brake it again ..............

Rick. I really appreciate the offer. and may take you up on it. I would like to learn how to fix it myself. but if I fail. it may end up at your house.

I fix a lot of recoils. I am a stihl tec. You can go to a dealer and get 2.7mm or 3mm pull rope from them. Get on YouTube and try to find a vidio of your recoil. Or call me and I will talk you through it. It's not hard. You just don't want to have the spring come out. 319-450-5631

Is it a standard starter or the EZ start type?

Just remember what Butch mentioned. Don't let the spool come out and have the spring come spooling out like a mad slinky. Most can be re-roped by just gaining access to the rope hole and getting the old knot/left over rope out and wind it backwards a few turns then pull a new rope in by snaking it in with a bread tie, make your knot and let it wind in. Mark the handle and pull out some slack and attach it.

If it is a EZ start be very careful as once the screw, dog and outer heavy spring are off the spool will push itself right out if it is not restrained.

I got a new pull starter. and ez start. the inner spring came out like a made slinky alright.

Anyone know how many counter clockwise rotations to wind up a G300 recoil for the standard 28 inches of cord? Doesn't seem to be any kind of spec I can find.

Thanks,

Marty

I don't have one at the moment that is handy.

Yea if you can find somebody with one off and ask them to count them for you.

I usually wind them pretty tight then thread rope through and it winds it all in most every time. There is a slot that allows you to add turns or release them if you have to after it is threaded and knotted.

If you do not mechanically retain the spool in the housing BEFORE you take out the center screw you will have a mess as the spool will come out on you.

I made two little L brackets for two corners that I bolt on and it can't come out. Then I bent a 4-40 rod to hold a wound up spool with hole in spool in line with the out take grommet.

Last edited:
Thanks Daniel...

I found that if I carefully take the spool out and not disturb the inner spring underneath this shouldn't be a big deal. I would think the only way to count the number of spool rotations the rope would have to be untied at the handle to count the rotations until the spring is fully unwound. Not sure I could ask someone with a perfectly working recoil to do that just to count the rotations. I figured someone here on the forum has a standard number of wind up rotations they use when re-roping a recoil. Maybe I'm being too critical but I'm afraid winding up too much would be just as bad as not enough.

Marty

Thanks Daniel...

I found that if I carefully take the spool out and not disturb the inner spring underneath this shouldn't be a big deal. I would think the only way to count the number of spool rotations the rope would have to be untied at the handle to count the rotations until the spring is fully unwound. Not sure I could ask someone with a perfectly working recoil to do that just to count the rotations. I figured someone here on the forum has a standard number of wind up rotations they use when re-roping a recoil. Maybe I'm being too critical but I'm afraid winding up too much would be just as bad as not enough.

Marty
You can't take the spool out of a EZ start without losing the spring under it. You can take the plastic pawl, heavy spring and screw out but you better not let the spool come out under tension as it wrecks the spring and can cut you up.

All that counting is just over thinking it as none of that matters.

You wind it up until it is snug and you feel it getting real tight you know your at full windup and back up one or two turns feed the rope through, test it to see if it reels in to the handle mark, if it does fine then add the handle and let it wind it in. Fixed.

Latest posts

Back