Straight Pipe vs. Tuned Pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklimpel

I have had many discussions with friends about the merits of tuned pipes vs straight pipes. Since we use our boats on the far side of a local lake (from within boats) noise pollution has never really been a problem for us.

A few of the guys have been running straight pipes/headers instead of a tuned pipe, and say that the power increase is considerable. Considering that these are the guys that have been doing 100kph (60mph) I am thinking they may be on to something.

If I don't have to be concerned with noise, should I be running a straight pipe(s)??

Jeff,

A tuned pipe will definately out perform a straight pipe if it is set up properly. There has been many years of testing and development on tuned pipes that should indicate that they do out-perform a straight pipe. Have a look at 2 stroke road racing motor bikes and trail bikes - they all use tuned pipes and that is a multi-million dollar industry. There are papers and books available on this subject backed up by dyno results.

If noise is not a problem - go with a tuned pipe! You won't regret it when it is done right. Find out what pipe / length / prop from someone using the same type of motor as you before spending any $$. Then hang on!

Tim.

Latest posts

Back