flex cable soldering?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielG

first of all I would like to thank all that responded on my last question with the flywheel. I scratched built a .12 rigger and I choose the .130 flex cable from octura with a 3/16 prop shaft. It said to cut a 1/8 piece of solder and drop in the shaft and then place the cable in and heat. I used silver solder and a torch so I know I had enought heat. I took it out yesterday for its maiden voyage. On its 15 th lap or so, I lost the shaft and prop. Is this the method that you all commonly use or is there a different way.

Thanks

I have had good luck with this process. You need to do something called tinning. Both pieces need a good coating of solder, you also need good flux. I use rosin core solder and acid flux (not acid flux solder) its a clear water looking stuff and cleans up with hot water. When your done you should see a nice flow of solder around the cable and the top of the shaft hole. I have better controll of the heat with a soldering iron. Keep the heat off the cable and on the shaft so the solder does't flow up the cable and make it stiff. One word of caution if you get alot of solder in the shaft hole solder could squirt out when you push in the cable.

-Mike

Don't you guys use ferrules with grub nuts?

Are you soldering the prop shaft into a tube? Hmmm?

I would like to make an input, but I really don't understand what you are dealing with. I wouldn't want to be redundant.

Does any one use straight shafts with universal joints anymore?

I use them in my .21 twin mono. They are kind of noisy, but they don't seem to effect the performance. I've never raced with that boat though. Wadoyatink?

Hammer

Latest posts

Back